Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

Airbag Light On - 2002 Tribute

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 07:00 PM
Default Airbag Light On - 2002 Tribute

The airbag light on my 2002 Tribute flashes 4 times and then 7 times after starting the car. Eventually it just stays on. I did some research, and my best guess from that research is that the seatbelt pretensioners were faulty. I called the dealership, and they of course just wanted me to come in for a service call, refusing to take a guess over the phone. Long story short, they comped me the $90 diagnostic fee, and guess what, it's the seatbelt pretensioners that are faulty.

Just wondering if this is a widespread problem with the Mazda Tribute. Here is the link that first clued me in:

http://www.faqfarm.com/Q/Are_airbag_..._Mazda_Tribute

Old 10-20-2006, 12:45 PM
Default RE: Airbag Light On - 2002 Tribute

They fixed the problem with no charge, although I was out of warranty. Says to me that they know this is an issue.

Old 01-16-2007, 09:28 PM

Glad to see this post. I just drove home from work, and the light is permanently on. I will call Mazda tomorrow. Given past experiences with recalls, I decided to check on-line to see if others had the problem. Hopefully they will acknowledge the problem. It hasn't been easy on the past.

I also had the low cooland or whatever light on for about six months. It only was on during the first mile of the drive. Now, it doesn't do that. It fixed itself. Cars.. you can't live without them.

Old 01-18-2007, 09:52 PM

Problems with Tribute air bag light being on is almost 99% of the time due to a slightly weak electrical connection at the set belt pre-tensioner connectors underneath the front seats. The LATEST and supposedly final repair for this problems is replacement of the connectors for both side pre-tensioners. Remember that "safety restraint" warranty is longer that regular warranty. 5 years or 60,000 miles, whichever comes first.

Old 01-28-2007, 12:46 PM

They made out like they were doing me a big favor and didn't mention that extended warranty.

Old 04-06-2007, 01:28 AM

Does anyone know if this is common with other years? I have a 2003 Tribute and the airbag light keeps blinking on and off and then stays on for long period of times and then shuts off and then goes on. My battery light did that for awhile, even with a new battery installed. It stopped turning on and now the airbag light is on...

I talked to the dealer and they said Mazda Warranty would not honor it. My Tribute has 62,000 miles on it. My mechanic says I need to bug Mazda to cover it. I'm not sure how to go about that... advise would be appreciated! thanks!
~Melinda

Old 04-06-2007, 10:48 AM

Melinda, when I had an A/C compressor go bad on my 2001 Caravan, I looked up the Customer Relations Center in the back of my owner's manual and wrote a letter, explaining the situation to Chrysler. I made sure the letter was mostly positive, but also mentioned that I was aware that these compressors had a reputation for premature failure. Within a week Chrysler called me and told me they would pay for a new compressor if I paid for the labor. Saved me $350. So, as a result, I suggest doing the same. Send a letter, registered mail, not email. Letters have more significance. Be positive, mention how you like the vehicle, but understand that this is a problem that Tributes have and that you are concerned about your safety while driving. Make sure you include all information that they require, which is usually listed in the owner's manual near the address you will be sending your letter.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-06-2007, 07:04 PM

Not sure what address you would send a letter to but MNAO centerfor western region is
Mazda North America Operations
Western Region
1421 Reynolds Avenue
Irvine, CA 92614

Phone number for Mazda Customer Assistance is 1-800-222-5500

Can almost guarantee that if you get Mazda corporate or a regional rep involved they will at least help out with the cost to make necessary repairs. SRS light coming on has been a problem for some time on the Tribute. If it is not the pretensioners in the seat belt buckle give a light flash code 46 or 47 it is a side air bag light flash code 36 or 37. Pretensioner much more common

Old 04-16-2007, 03:47 PM

Mine always does that.. There's a little wire thing under the seat that if somerhing (ie water bottle) touches it, it disconnects it.. blah blah blah.. thats one of the 8000 problems with my 01. I hate it and will never buy another Tribute, maybe a cx7.. but not a tribute.. EVER

Old 06-01-2007, 01:34 PM

I have an '03 Tribute under 50K on itwith the airbag light problem since 2003, later the coolant light problem, then more recently, I had the battery light problem (where I bought a new battery thinking that would help). THEN, the car just died completely one day while idling at a light and wouldn't restart. The dials and dashboard went totally crazy just prior. I've been told by their mechanics it's safe to drive eventhough the airbag light is on howeverI alsoread about the poor dude who was told it's okay to drive with the light on--he hit a pole and the airbag didn't deploy! I've had the thing in & out of the dealership at least 3 timesabout thisand they haven't fixed it right yet. I still don't have the car back from the dealership since it died at the end of FEB!!! I AM NOT HAPPY. The service dept. also suggested to me that a remote starter that was installed 6 months after buying the vehicle might have something to do with it, but I kinda doubt it after reading all of these other electrical/computer complaints.Then they told me that based on the types of codes it was sending, they asked me ifit was in an accident (which it certainly was NOT).

Quick Reply: Airbag Light On - 2002 Tribute