Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

Adding Sirius

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 08:29 PM
Default Adding Sirius

My wife has a 2005 Tribute with in dash 6 disc changer. I just added a Sirius reciever using the FM transmitter, but the reception isnt so great in our area regardless of which frequency she tries. What is the easiest way to connect the Sirius reciever right to the in dash radio without replacing the radio? I've heard there is an adapter that plugs directly from the Sirius reciever into the antenea jack in the back of the radio. The factory radio actually has a "SAT" button on it, but didn't have sat radio installed. I'm on a tight budget so I dont want to replace the factory radio.Any input is greatly appreciated.

Old 08-22-2009, 09:59 PM
Talking

Originally Posted by akristof
My wife has a 2005 Tribute with in dash 6 disc changer. I just added a Sirius reciever using the FM transmitter, but the reception isnt so great in our area regardless of which frequency she tries. What is the easiest way to connect the Sirius reciever right to the in dash radio without replacing the radio? I've heard there is an adapter that plugs directly from the Sirius reciever into the antenea jack in the back of the radio. The factory radio actually has a "SAT" button on it, but didn't have sat radio installed. I'm on a tight budget so I dont want to replace the factory radio.Any input is greatly appreciated.
You have to buy the Sirius brain unit, sold by Mazda or you can find them on Ebay. It plugs into the back of your stock radio.That will allow you to recieve Sirius threw your stock radio by using the SAT button. Mazda sells the units for around $650.00 installed, Ebay is cheaper!!! You can get the FM modulator to use with your Sirius reciever and that will help with reception, Sirius sent me one free.

Last edited by vlstellato; 08-22-2009 at 10:03 PM.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:25 AM

I have the FM modulaor. It looks horrible on the edge of the windshield so i put it under the plastic trim in the column just beside it. The reception is still bad. $650 is way out of my budget. Any other suggestions? I dont need to use the Sat feature oin the in deck radio. I just want to make the connection without FM modulaor. Is there no other way?

Old 08-23-2009, 05:42 PM

I have the FM modulaor. It looks horrible on the edge of the windshield so i put it under the plastic trim in the column just beside it. The reception is still bad. $650 is way out of my budget. Any other suggestions? I dont need to use the Sat feature oin the in deck radio. I just want to make the connection without FM modulaor. Is there no other way?
What Sirius reciever do you have? The FM modulator should be behind your OEM radio because the OEM antenna wire plugs into the FM modulator and the output antenna wire from the FM modulator plugs into the back of the OEM radio, the smaller gauge wire plugs into the Sirius radio. You can always call Sirius radio custumer service and let them know about your reception issues.

Last edited by vlstellato; 08-23-2009 at 05:45 PM.
Old 08-24-2009, 03:08 PM

I have a Stratus 5. They sent it free when my last one died because I was going to cancel that second account since my wife didnt use it much. Funny how they are so willing to send out freebies and even cut my subscription price in half when I said I was gonna cancel..haha It's a cheapy, but it was free. I apologize, I mispoke earlier. I installed the FM extender antenna, not the modulator. But it sounds like the modulator is what I'm looking for. It just plugs into the Sirius and then into the back of the OEM radio so its a direct line in? Right? And you think if I called Sirius and mentioned my poor reception that they'd send me one?

Old 08-24-2009, 04:06 PM
Talking

I have a Stratus 5. They sent it free when my last one died because I was going to cancel that second account since my wife didnt use it much. Funny how they are so willing to send out freebies and even cut my subscription price in half when I said I was gonna cancel..haha It's a cheapy, but it was free. I apologize, I mispoke earlier. I installed the FM extender antenna, not the modulator. But it sounds like the modulator is what I'm looking for. It just plugs into the Sirius and then into the back of the OEM radio so its a direct line in? Right? And you think if I called Sirius and mentioned my poor reception that they'd send me one?
The factory antenna plugs into the FM modulator then you take the FM modulator antenna output and plug that into the OEM radio, what you are left with is a smaller gauge wire that plugs into your Sirius reciever. That will clear up any reception issues you have,It did for me. Ask for it they will send it to you. Like I said before they sent me one FREE. If you can get one from them for free it will cost you $25.

Old 08-26-2009, 05:43 PM
Thumbs up

Thanks, that sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. I'll give them a call and try to squeeze one out of them.