Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

2005 Tribute Monster truck or just an exhaust leak?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 09:43 AM
Default 2005 Tribute Monster truck or just an exhaust leak?

Hello everyone. Long time forum lurker first time poster! Long story short I hit a pothole (very normal here in chicago) and then a few blocks later noticed that my car upon acceleration sounded like a monster truck. Loud throaty gargling sound. When I stop it’s as quiet as a church. So only when gas pedal is pressed does this noise occur. I’m guessing that I have a hole in my exaust somewhere, and this morning after taking my son to school I noticed that my exaust was hanging a little low. So that brought me here...I’m hopin someone can help me diagnose what’s wrong and if it can simply be fixed with a weld or something as a whole new system just isn’t in my budget. Any thoughts would be appreciated! Thank you!

Matt

I see the mount where a hook goes is missing but also I see that shroud with the slice. Help!

Old 03-18-2019, 06:09 PM

Looks like your Flexi pipe section is busted, from the factory that is part of the Y-pipe that goes under the engine but there are aftermarket repair sections available. The bracket for the front mount is (normally) mounted to the flange at the rear of the Flexi so you will get that as part of the repair section or Y-pipe. If cost is an issue you can likely get the Y-pipe from a breakers or junkyard.

Old 03-19-2019, 02:43 PM
Default Got it fixed.

Ok so it was the flex pipe, however it was worse than anticipated as the cat and muffler both had leaks/rusted...I went with the most affordable for me witch was a flex pipe straight back. $100 and monster truck sound gone....car and acceleration are quiet as a mouse now. I can feel the power back...how does the work look? Thanks all!!

Old 03-19-2019, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by madubt
...how does the work look?

Sorry - Awful.

That wouldn't pass inspection here, with the rear cat just removed I'd check it will pass in your jurisdiction, some prohibit straight removal of those components for road use even if the emissions are not tested.

Other than that, the welding of the hangers is just VERY poor quality and the front hanger rubber looks to be under so much strain it'll likely not last very long. Looks about $20-worth of "work" IMHO.

Old 03-20-2019, 05:24 AM

I live in Illinois and the guy helping me told me I had 3 cats on the car...this is the V6 model, and at this moment I didn’t have the $400 he quoted for the whole fix, so we agreed to remove the one for now and run that straight pipe back to my muffler. The muffler also has a couple small leaks and will need to be changed soon, but I plan on going back once I have enough for them to take care of the rest. This is meant to be temporary as a get me by, even though they will stand by their work for a year. I don’t require emissions testing either so I’m hoping it will work out for the next month or two.

Originally Posted by simonsi
Sorry - Awful.

That wouldn't pass inspection here, with the rear cat just removed I'd check it will pass in your jurisdiction, some prohibit straight removal of those components for road use even if the emissions are not tested.

Other than that, the welding of the hangers is just VERY poor quality and the front hanger rubber looks to be under so much strain it'll likely not last very long. Looks about $20-worth of "work" IMHO.

Old 03-20-2019, 05:47 AM

Thats cool then as a temp repair. Yes you have 3 cats and if you dont need to pass emissions even better :-)

His welding could still be better ;-)