Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

2001 Tribute Runs fine, then won't start

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 03:18 AM
Default 2001 Tribute Runs fine, then won't start

2001 Tribute ES V6 3.0L

Car starts and runs fine at the beginning of the day. So say I run across town for something and end my trip. No problems. Then when I go for my return trip it won't start.

The car cranks and sounds like it will start... but behaves as if it is flooded and doesn't catch. I'm not doing anything unusual to cause it to flood. I often have to leave the car sit for 2 or more hours before it'll start. Once it does start the car runs well.

No check engine light. (Not that I'd have any way to check the code.)

Happens less often in colder weather. The problem began last summer with the warmer weather. If I drive to work in the morning and leave 8-9 hours later, no issues. But if I'm making stops more frequently...bad news. And it's happening more frequently now.

Speaking with a neighbor who is a mechanic for Lexus, he suggested it might be...I think the term he used was "fuel lock" which he said is hard to diagnose. Another guy thought we should check the Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor.

The ECT sensor sounds like a pretty simple thing to replace on my own. I'm currently unemployed and have no funds to go to the mechanic. Any suggestions for other things to check would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Alex

Old 03-06-2009, 07:54 AM

Idle Air Control Valve - Sits on top of the engine and is very easy to replace. Seems to be a common problem as vehicles age. A higher probablility than the coolant sensor which would probably throw a code.

Last edited by TomV; 03-06-2009 at 07:57 AM.
Old 03-07-2009, 11:06 PM

The next time the engine acts up, Try giving the throttle just a little bit a movement just slighty off idle.If it is the I A C the engine should start but it will not idle. The I A C valve sticks closed causing a no start or a low idle condition. If it still does not start it might be a fuel pump. Need to check with pressure guage to verify concern. I hope this helps Kevin

Old 11-27-2012, 10:30 PM

I recently had the same problem, but on cold weather.

I drove the car from work one night and all was fine. Sat in the garage (temp just above freezing point) for the night. At 9am in the morning, went to start it and it sounded like there was no gas going into the engine and thick gas smell all over.

My new mechanic tells me engine was flooded with gas

He couldn't get it to "choke" again, but now the car is fine....today was the first day after mechanic. No engine light, no nothing. Anything I can do to prevent it? He said it may or may not happen again...

Old 01-03-2017, 06:10 PM

hi adabre,
Were you able to diagnosed it yourself? I have the same exact problem with my 2001 tribute. No problem starting it in the morning even if its 30deg outside. Once the engine warms up from driving store to store, the car won't start anymore. Just spoke to a mechanic after i described the symptoms and he said the the crank position sensor must be going bad. Like he knew from the second i opened my mouth.

Did anyone have the same problem other than myself and adabre? Please share what you did to fixed the problem.

Best R,
Jon

Last edited by jonytribute; 01-03-2017 at 06:19 PM.