Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

03 Tribute V6 Starting issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 08:51 PM
Default 03 Tribute V6 Starting issues

hey guys iv read abotu 15 threads on starting issues and im not sure of my problem yet. Anyway I have had my fuel pump replaced as the dealer said that would fix it, well it didnt, good thing it was under warrenty. It has been to the dealer 4 times for this starting issue and its getting old. The thing runs and drives great, no problmes what so ever. However sometimse it is really hard to start. It will turn over sputter then not start. If i keep the key held it will turn over sputter then keep turnign over and finally start. It is completely random when it does this, hot, cold, humid, dry, engine warm engine cold. Sometimes it starts right up no problem, but more often then not it have this starting issue. I have read abotu the ICV or the IAC but the dealer never mentioned this. I would think if there was such a problem they would have replaced that before the fuel pump. Anway what else can it be other then this sensor?

EDIT: this is a 2003 V6 Auto

Old 09-10-2007, 08:57 PM
Default RE: 03 Tribute V6 Starting issues

IF The IAC has never been replaced I would start their, I even think mazda has a TSB on this issue.

Old 09-10-2007, 09:33 PM

ORIGINAL: jimmythekid1

IF The IAC has never been replaced I would start their, I even think mazda has a TSB on this issue.
oh really where at?

Old 09-11-2007, 05:45 AM

ALLDATA, the manufacturs web site, give me the year and I'll check.

Old 09-11-2007, 10:23 AM

its a 2003 V6

Old 09-11-2007, 04:14 PM

well I just checked and I dont see anything about starting problems, but maybe I missed it.

Old 09-11-2007, 07:56 PM

this is the TSB

Verify customer concern.

Inspection of Idle Air Control (IAC) Valve

a.
With the transmission in Park, the engine should idle at approximately 750 RPM, and the engine temperature should be at least 88°C (190°F). All accessories and the engine cooling fan should be off.

b.
Using WDS version B20.12 or later, verify that Idle Air Control (IAC) duty cycle is within specification (between 32-40% with no purge flow).

C.
If the Idle Air Control (IAC) duty cycle is within specification, proceed to Step 3. If IAC duty cycle is out of specification, replace IAC with part number AJ03-20-660A.

d.
If IAC duty cycle is within specification after replacing with a new IAC, then proceed to Step 3. If IAC duty cycle is still out of specification, replace throttle body with part number AJ03-13-640A.

e.
Verify corrective action, then proceed to Step 3.
NOTE: Engine RPM will slowly ramp up. It is extremely important to check the IAC duty Cycle when the RPM is at 750 RPM. Even 800 RPM is too high for checking IAC duty cycle under these conditions.

PCM Reflashing

a.
Perform the following: If the vehicle was built on or after 9/13/2002, then proceed to Step 4 now. If not, reprogram the PCM with WDS version B20.12 or later. Only use WDS version B20.12 or later during this reprogramming.

b.
Some 2001 model year PCMs cannot be reprogrammed and must be replaced. Replacement is determined by the MPC # located in the upper left comer of the bar code on the PCM. If the PCM is an MPC 160, then replace with part number AJ08-18-881F and reprogram with WDS version B20.12 or later. If the PCM is MPC 161, then just reprogram with WDS version B20.12 or later.

C.
Verify the latest calibration was successfully reprogrammed. WDS should show latest calibration level 1U7A-12A650-AYD if PCM tear tag # SJC0, SJC1 or SJC2. For PCM tear tag HQP1, HQP2, HQP3 or RKG0, the latest calibration level is 2U7A-12A650-CRB. For tear tag BAR0 or BAR1, the latest calibration level is 3L8A-12A650-BC.
NOTE: For additional details on PCM reflashing, refer to the PCM REFLASH PROCEDURE SUPPLEMENT. Then proceed to Step 4.

Inspection of Evaporative Vapor (EVAP) Management Valve

a.
With the transmission in Park, the engine should idle at approximately 750 RPM, and the engine temperature should be at least 88°C (190°F). All accessories and the engine cooling fan should be off.

b.
With WDS version B20.12 (U.S.) or later, determine if the Evaporative Vapor Management (EVAPVM) duty cycle stops increasing and remains at 95-100% while Fuel Tank Pressure (FTP) holds at approximately 2.6 volts. Monitor these parameters using PIDs - EVAPVM # (in percent) and FTP (in volts). If this occurs, replace the EVAPVM valve with part number AJ03-18-741A.

c.
If EVAPVM is functioning correctly, the duty cycle should increase to 84-100% with the FTP decreasing to approximately 2.2 volts and then recycle back to 0% duty cycle while FTP hold at approximately 2.6 volts. Do not replace the EVAPVM valve.

d.
Verify corrective action, then proceed to Step 5.

Inspection of EVAP System Vent Line

a.

b.
With WDS version B20.12 (U.S.) or later, if EVAPVM drops to 0% from 60-80% (premature purge shutoff), check for an obstructed vent line. This condition may be accompanied by a sudden RPM drop while idling. The premature purge shutoff is caused by the tank not reaching a pre-specified vacuum state.

c.
To clear the possible obstructed vent line, disconnect the vent line in the evaporative emissions system from the check valve side (check valve part number is AJ03-42-910). This connection is located just forward of the evaporative emissions canister assembly, underneath the vehicle in the area of the driver side rear seat.

d.
Using shop air, blow the vent line from the check valve side forward (towards the brake booster). In the past, spiders have been known to construct webs in vent lines, so handle with caution. Possible obstructions in the vent line can prevent the evaporative emissions system from purging properly, and in some cases, stalling occurs.

e.
Verify corrective action, then proceed to Step 6.

Inspection of Electronic Engine Control (EEC) Relay

a.
If the Electronic Engine Control (EEC) relay has stamped lettering, proceed to Step 7. If the EEC relay has white lettering printed on the top surface, replace with a new Hella service relay part number BTDA67-740 that is all black and has stamped lettering on the top surface. Make sure the relay you are installing has stamped lettering.

b.
Confirm EEC relay female terminal tightness on the battery junction box side using tester P/N 49-L088-0A2-020 from the Mazda terminal repair kit. If loose, adjust terminals as needed. If okay, then proceed to Step 7.
NOTE: For location of the EEC relay, use 2001 Wiring Diagram sections Z-52/Connector X1016 and Z154/Battery Junction Box.

Inspection of Key Ring Weight

a.
Ask the customer if they have significant weight (approximately 9 oz or more) hanging from the key ring while the keys are in the ignition. If they do, and the engine quits while traveling over bumps, the key ring may move the ignition out of the Run position and stop the engine. When this occurs, all gauges immediately shut off (fuel reads "E", tachometer goes to zero, speedometer goes to zero immediately).

b.
It is recommended that the customer attach fewer keys to the key ring that retains the vehicle ignition key.

c.
Proceed to Step 8.

Road Test

a.
Road test the vehicle long enough to experience 3 closed throttle decelerations from approximately 40 mph down to 10 mph. Ensure overdrive is ON. Use scan tool to examine engine RPM during test.

b.
Ensure that there are no engine RPM dips below 680 RPM. Then proceed to Step 9.

Obtain an Authorized Modification PCM Label through M-Net (part number 9999-95-AM DC-97) and list the date, dealer number, and summary of modifications performed. Select a prominent place adjacent to the Vehicle Emission Control Information Decal suitable for installing the Authorized Modifications Label. Clean the area, install the decal, and cover it with a clear plastic decal shield.

Old 09-11-2007, 11:50 PM

ok sweet, thanks a lot ill give the dealer a call and see if thell take a look at it again.

Old 09-15-2007, 04:20 PM

I'm not sure if the problems I'm having are similar, but my Tribute feels like it's going to cut out when I start it up. If I start driving it, the problem goes away after a mile or two. If I don't drive it the whole Tribute feels like it's going to fall apart, and one time it did cut out. Is this the same problem that you're having on your Tribute?

Old 09-18-2007, 04:13 PM

nope, once mine is running it runs perfect, no miss no hesitation, actually it throws you back in the seat quite nicly for a little 3.0L 6.

Quick Reply: 03 Tribute V6 Starting issues