Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

'01 Tribute, broken driver's door handle

Old 03-29-2008, 12:25 PM
Default '01 Tribute, broken driver's door handle

I have an '01 Tribute with a broken handle on the driver's side door, it will open from the inside, but not the outside. I've been looking around and it appears this is a fairly common problem.

My question is do I have to replace the entire lock assembly in order to correct the problem? When I called the dealer, that's what I was told and that it is $185 for the part alone.

I had my brother-in-law take a look at it and the rod is definitely broken, for the time being he was able to rig it to work, but it's just a matter of time until it breaks again. My goal between now and then is to locate a good diagram for repair and confirm that I have to buy the whole thing and can't just get the broken piece replaced.

Any help is appreciated, especially from those who have been there and done that. Thanks in advance.

Melissa

Old 04-05-2008, 05:33 PM
VSL
Default RE: '01 Tribute, broken driver's door handle

bee_happy,

Only my inside door latch has broken whichis a very common problem. From this experience, my only advice is 1) obtain the precise part number (a written quote from the dealer may get you this, or check online with the following website), and 2) compare this price of $185 with "online mazda parts.com." Left and right doors have different part numbers. I could have saved $30, less $5 shipping,if I had purchased the part online. Dealers charge the most.

Assuming you obtain the part number, kindly postor send it to me, lest I develop this problem with my 01 Tribute. Perhaps you only need your dealer to install it if you buy elsewhere. What is his labor rate versus an independent Mazda mechanic?

BTW, the inside, driver door, latch part # is EC01-59-330P. The passengerside is . . . 58 . . . Hope this helps.

To anyone: my 01 Tribute odometer backlight is out. Does anyone know which fuseamp ratingand location number replaces it? I cannot find this info in my manual. Removing fuses is not easy; I thought of removing each one to test. Thanks.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by VSL
bee_happy,

Only my inside door latch has broken whichis a very common problem. From this experience, my only advice is 1) obtain the precise part number (a written quote from the dealer may get you this, or check online with the following website), and 2) compare this price of $185 with "online mazda parts.com." Left and right doors have different part numbers. I could have saved $30, less $5 shipping,if I had purchased the part online. Dealers charge the most.

Assuming you obtain the part number, kindly postor send it to me, lest I develop this problem with my 01 Tribute. Perhaps you only need your dealer to install it if you buy elsewhere. What is his labor rate versus an independent Mazda mechanic?

BTW, the inside, driver door, latch part # is EC01-59-330P. The passengerside is . . . 58 . . . Hope this helps.

To anyone: my 01 Tribute odometer backlight is out. Does anyone know which fuseamp ratingand location number replaces it? I cannot find this info in my manual. Removing fuses is not easy; I thought of removing each one to test. Thanks.
I just joined this forum today and have both of the issues mentioned above. I was able to order a new handle and will follow other posts found in here to replace it. As for the odometer back light, here's a link on the Ford forum for how to replace one on an Escape http://www.ford-forums.com/ford-esca...rd-escape.html which should work for the Tribute, too. Good luck.

Last edited by falcaineer; 06-17-2009 at 09:31 PM.
Old 06-19-2009, 09:44 AM

same problem but i can not open it by the inside

Old 08-01-2009, 12:56 AM
Default Door lock

Ok my back driver door will not open from the outside or in. It had this problem when I purchased the vehicle and the dealer I got the car from had it fixed I have barely had it a month and it has did it again. Apparently it is from someone trying to open the door as I am unlocking it Is there something I can do to fix the problem instead of having to take it to a mechanic everytime?

Old 08-08-2009, 08:54 AM
Cool Door handle repair option

I have the same vehicle and experienced the same problem on both the driver and passenger side doors, and was able to repair and (in my opinion) improve the durability of these components. After getting into the door and examining the internal workings of the door handle, I found that the metal lever which connects to the push-rod had broken. I suspect this is the same problem other folks have experienced as the metal used here is very low quality -- toy Matchbox cars are manufactured to higher standards! Anyway, there was enough of the lever left on the handle that I could shape a new piece of metal (I used some good quality aluminum, about 1/8" thick) to fit on top of the remaining lever to recreate the piece that had broken off. I joined the two pieces with two pop-rivets to create a tight/strong bond and drilled the hole for the push-rod. I reassembled the door handle, checked mechanical movement, smiled at the fact it was working, and put everything back together -- 2 years later, zero problems. I know this type of repair is not for everyone, but it was really not that difficult (just time consuming) and I thought it might be of value to readers here. I enjoy tinkering/fixing things and really did not feel like getting reamed at the dealership for overpriced parts that I know are poorly engineered and destined to fail again. My philosophy -- fix it once and fix it right!

Old 10-30-2009, 07:35 AM
Smile Tribute door handle fix

I posted a zero cost fix about two years ago. SEARCH USING...broken door handle. It's the one with over 6,000 views. Continue your search and followed the directions that I have detailed. tonyp you can email me for help at amp1117@yahoo.com

Last edited by tonyp; 10-30-2009 at 07:47 AM.