Mazda RX-8 This new generation of the famed rotary car offers extra room, with the peformance and feel of performance car.

Power Steering failing before heating up?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2019, 05:21 AM
Default Power Steering failing before heating up?

Only had my 2003 RX8 for a week with no issues, so i went down to Supercheap to grab oil for the change over with no problems getting there (the trips only 5 mins down the road and the engine might’ve not been at complete operating temperature before turning off) but upon starting up the car to leave the power steering yellow light came on and the wheel was stiff as a board, now I freaked out a bit and shut the engine off. After 15 mins of frantically searching what the problem could be I turned the engine back on with fingers crossed and low and behold the light disappeared and the steering went back to normal.

I got back home fine but once again I forgot to buy something at Supercheap and the power steering light was on the whole way to the shop with near impossible turning of the wheel so I shut the engine off in the car park and came back out to startup and see the power steering light on again so I turned the engine off and back on and then it disappeared.

Is the power steering linked to the engine warming up?

Im gonna try cleaning my plugs under the air filter and then looking at the steering rack under.

anyone know what’s going on?

Old 11-09-2019, 10:49 PM
Super Moderator

The power steering uses a electric motor. Common problem on these is corrosion between the terminals that plug into the motor.