Mazda RX-8 This new generation of the famed rotary car offers extra room, with the peformance and feel of performance car.

Not flooded, may be immobilizer, homeless need help

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 09:28 PM
Default Not flooded, may be immobilizer, homeless need help

Hello,

Sorry for my first post to be a question about a problem I'm having but am desperate. Will not tell a sob story but the RX 8 is my home right now and I do not have a lot of money so any help would be appreciated. I tried another forum but my accounts restricted until a mod approves it.

2004 RX 8 MT

Yesterday I blew a fuse to the radio, did not notice until a more significant problem developed. Also yesterday I started the car and it paused before cranking, but started right up. Power went off then it cranked like normal.

I left it idling for a few hours to use the heat and my lab top. Turned it off and took a nap and when I awoke to start it up, nothing. Well, not nothing, all the lights came on and the immobilizer kept flashing. Lights lit up dash, everything. Did not notice the radio yet. I tried jump starting then push starting it (MT) and it would kick a little but not even try to start really.

This is when I noticed my keyless entry did not work, nor my radio or overhead lights. I then check the fuses and found a bad one and changed it. All the electrical stuff was strong. I dont have access to a voltometer (sp?) but all lights were bright and power accessories were strong, much in fact way stronger than when I've ran the battery dead a few times.

When I ran the battery dry a few times I was able to push start it or jump it with out any problems. So I dont think its the battery.

I tried this morning again several times with the help of some nice day laborers to push start it...got it up to 17mph and still would only kick a little but seemed something was stopping it from starting.

I've ran the battery down now using my lab top to try and find a solution. I think its the immobilizer but want to be certain. any way to proved this is the problem....I don't have a lot of money so you can understand my desire to correct the problem the 1st try.

If I am correct about the info I've found, I have to take it to a dealership for them to reprogram the immobilizer and key. Can someone give me an estimate of that or maybe an easy fix. I've searched everywhere but seems when I find a thread similar to my problem the answer always comes via PM and the OP does not say if he fixed the prob.

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:24 AM

when was the last time you changed your battery? You are supposed to get a new battery anywhere from 3-5 years. It very well could be your battery about to die, causing most of the electronic things in the car to not work.

I doubt it would be the engine immobilizer. The immobilizer is something that the car has so it cannot be started without your key, example: hotwiring.