Mazda RX-8 This new generation of the famed rotary car offers extra room, with the peformance and feel of performance car.

New RX8 owner today!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 05:01 PM
Default New RX8 owner today!

Hello all RX8 owners. Today, I'm one too! Or at least I think.
I just purchased a 2004 RX8 w/70K miles. It drives like crazy and almost as well as my last C5 Corvette.
So, the car has solid color black leather, HID lights, 18" wheels, power everything i.e. seats, windows, locks, remote locks, CD, but I don't see BOSE on the kick panel speaker grills.
So how do I know what I have: a Sport, GT or Grand Touring? Even called the local Mazda dealer and they couldn't tell me. So how do I know.
Oh, it does have a six speed manual tranny too.

Since I've already purchased but not picked it up yet(Monday the 6th), what should I have looked for in retrospect? I have NOT paid for it yet so am I safe. The Car Fax lists three owners, one very minor accident(parking light was damaged), no special use etc etc etc. A clean Car Fax.

The dealer just put all new rubber all around, had the local Mazda dealer install a new CAT convertor and Car Fax shows one recall open. I did notice the air bag light came on then went back off on next test drive. Car looks very, very good with very minimal wear.

Help please before this Monday comes around.

I paid 9K for the car. Thanks all and glad to be a part of this special group.

Old 02-05-2012, 08:08 AM
Super Moderator

Having never owned one or even worked on one, I am not an expert on the RX-8, but it seems that some good common sense and regular maintenance are the key to keeping them happy.
From what I've read and deduced:
1) Regular (re: REGULAR) oil changes are a must.
2) Short starts and stops are not the best idea with these Wankel engines. If you're going to drive the car, DRIVE the car. If you are going down to the local convenient store for a quart of milk, walking would be a better idea.
3) When starting the engine in any weather, turn on the key, keep your foot off the gas pedal, wait a few seconds for the fuel pump to stop, and start the engine.
4) Keep an eye on the oil level and don't let it get too low, or too high either. These engine use oil by design. It's needed to keep the rotor seals, the equivalent of piston rings, lubricated and pliable especially during start up. You are likely to go through 1/2 - 1 quart between oil changes.

Think of this car as a more comfortable and reliable version of a British sports car from the '60's-'70's, because that's basically what it is.
I would not recommend these cars to someone that knows nothing about cars, but thinks it's "cute." They would soon find out that cute can be time consuming and expensive.
That said, I know a number of forum members that think their RX-8 is the best car they've ever owned, and they keep them running.