Mazda RX-8 This new generation of the famed rotary car offers extra room, with the peformance and feel of performance car.

The flooding issue.

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 05:09 PM
Default The flooding issue.

I know I need to introduce myself in the new member area, and I will. I just posted about buying an RX8 today.
So what's with the flooding issue? Does it always flood or only when cold and only if you just start it up and then shut it right back off?
What's the best practice to keep it running when first starting it, say, backing out of the garage to wash it, and then starting back up to pull back in. Is this a no-no?
As I mentioned in my other post just now, I have NOT paid for the car as I have yet to pick her up this Monday. Do I follow through with the sale or not. HELP Please before it's too late. Am I doomed now? Should I have bought something else????? YIKES! I think I'm scared now.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:48 AM

You're not doomed
I know flooding has been an issue on the roatry at least since they started fuel injecting. I had an 84 GSL-SE and it would flood mostly due to leaking injectors / low compression and a short start. Basically the engine needs a rich mix to get started, and if the engine is turned off before it's warmed up it has a tendency to flood. When new, I doubt there's an issue, but any vehicle running for short times repeatedly will end up with some issue.
If it's colder out, the fuel mix is more rich, so it's more likely to happen then.

As an aside, I had a 2004 jaguar XJR for a test vehicle - when it first arrived it was running rough, like it would misfire on occasion. I called to see if this was normal or if something needed to be fixed, and they simply stated that it happens when in transport for a while since it keeps getting moved 50 feet at a time from truck to truck and whatever. Drove it for 20 miles on the highway and never had an issue after that. So that's an expensive and new at the time (under 10k miles I think) design which showed some dendancy to run poorly after short starts.
The rotary is just more finiky with that.
As a fix for the older RX's, you can cut the fuel supply, which will clear out the fuel, and then allow a normal start. So that's something to try if you have any issues, and it's also a handy way to add a theft deterrant to the vehicle