Mazda RX-8 This new generation of the famed rotary car offers extra room, with the peformance and feel of performance car.

I want a Rx-8 but.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 11:44 AM
Default I want a Rx-8 but.....

OK i really like the look and the feel of the mazda rx8 and it fits in my price range as a 17 yr old guy, I earned my car by working my parents arnt giving me money. My only trouble is convincing my dad this is a good purchase. I want a coupe/hatch he thinks the RSX or Tc would be better but both are bland and bare bones, RSX isnt bad but once I drove the mazda I was sold. But uon looking at reviews the rx8 has a red X under engine (edmunds.com) and my dad cant get past this. I understand the flooding situation and how to prevent it, I know you have to constantly keep the oil level in mind but what eles is wrong with the engine or fails easy people have said there is other stuff but they havnt said what it is.

Im hoping you can shead so light on the situation and I hope i can be driving behind the wheel of a mazda soon enough

Zoom Zoom.

Old 06-05-2011, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by coltzxli
OK i really like the look and the feel of the mazda rx8 and it fits in my price range as a 17 yr old guy, I earned my car by working my parents arnt giving me money. My only trouble is convincing my dad this is a good purchase. I want a coupe/hatch he thinks the RSX or Tc would be better but both are bland and bare bones, RSX isnt bad but once I drove the mazda I was sold. But uon looking at reviews the rx8 has a red X under engine (edmunds.com) and my dad cant get past this. I understand the flooding situation and how to prevent it, I know you have to constantly keep the oil level in mind but what eles is wrong with the engine or fails easy people have said there is other stuff but they havnt said what it is.

Im hoping you can shead so light on the situation and I hope i can be driving behind the wheel of a mazda soon enough

Zoom Zoom.
I'm thinking an RX-8 is a poor choice of a car for you; true the look and the drive can be very appealing, but the truth of the matter is that RX-8s have proven to be quite maintenance heavy (and considerably more expensive than other similarly capable vehicles). If you skimp on the maintenance, the cost of continued operations can quickly spiral out of control.

Then there's the cost of insurance for a seventeen year old guy in an RX-8...

Old 06-05-2011, 02:20 PM

well the insurance wouldnt be as bad b/c its considered a 1.3L, and a 4 door....but still it is a sports car and like all cars it would be high.

however this didnt answer the question besides oil and fluids and flooding what eles is common for the rotory engine, failing wise

thanks

Old 06-05-2011, 04:40 PM

well the insurance wouldnt be as bad b/c its considered a 1.3L, and a 4 door....but still it is a sports car and like all cars it would be high.
Insurance companies aren't that dumb; trust me, they know very well the power that engine can make and they rate it accordingly. Same reason why the 2.0T powered Golfs and Jettas garner a much higher insurance premium than their 2.5 liter siblings.

however this didnt answer the question besides oil and fluids and flooding what eles is common for the rotory engine, failing wise
The engine; there are numerous reports of engines requiring a complete rebuild after only thirty to fifty thousand miles. To put that in to perspective, most other Mazda engines (with the exception of the V6 in the Mazda6) can typically be relied upon to go an easy quarter of a million miles. Quite a difference.

Long story short, unless you're made of money, the RX-8 isn't a car for you.

Old 06-22-2011, 03:14 PM

its a beautiful car, but what if u swapped out the engine for like an FD TWIN TURBO. or like u said the Mazda6 engine?

Old 07-07-2011, 07:28 AM
Default its fine

as long as you don't live in a climate where the winter is crappy, i'd get the car. its not as bad as people say. I have a 2010 rx8, and the engine is fine. they've perfected it pretty well. past rx8 model years have had a lot of problems, but dont worry about the new ones if thats the way youre going. just do the regular maintenance and you'll be good.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:31 AM
Default also...

your insurance should be fine. I went from a 2008 mazda 3 to a 2010 rx8, and my insurance went up 5 dollars extra per month. its considered a 4 door by most insurance company's. as long as your record is clean, it may be a little more until you turn 21.