Mazda RX-8 This new generation of the famed rotary car offers extra room, with the peformance and feel of performance car.

rx 8 transmission

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 06:25 PM
Talking rx 8 transmission

so my oldest brother said that it would be a good idea to but the FD twin turbo in the rx 8, the younger one said that he doesn't know if it would work because the transmission might be different. so are they different or is it possible to put it in the rx 8?

Old 06-24-2011, 10:10 PM

i am surprised that this has been here for a full day and we have yet to get one standard comment of, "with enough money, anything could be done."

to answer your question directly, the bolt pattern is the same for the bell-housing of the transmission. the input shaft is different, i believe. if so, you will have to find a clutch/flywheel combination that works. that isn't really complicated, but i am not going to go into any more explanation because you will not want to use that transmission if do that swap. that trans is a bucket of bolts compared to any of the rx7 transmissions with the second generation turbo trans being the strongest.

now, to answer your thought. you could do the swap with an fd trans and motor, but you would want to do a lot of extra work on top of that. the rx8 guys have had issues with intercooler mounting options that will actually keep the intercooler cool rather than heating it. your best bet is to find a greddy/trust kit where the tubing goes over the radiator. they are pricey and no longer in production, but you can still find them N/OS from some websites. next step would be a single turbo swap and engine management. a single swap will be easier to tune, produce less exhaust heat, and make more power. the engine management system could be any of the stand-alones on the market or stock ecu with a piggy back. a stock harness or a reproduction will be needed either way.

the easier swap would be a second gen turbo motor since haltech sells a fully terminated harness for that motor. they are also cheaper to build and can make more power than you really need in a street car. my $.02

the swap has been done, but not done to death.

Old 06-27-2011, 12:04 PM

thanks, i wasn't really sure of my options.

Old 07-06-2011, 03:01 PM

would you care to explain a little more. because i am not at all car smart.

Old 07-06-2011, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by hellokitty44
would you care to explain a little more. because i am not at all car smart.
Which, unless you have significant amounts of cash just layin' around, is exactly why you do NOT want an RX-8.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:00 PM

i understand that. but can u give me an estimate? .
u keep telling me its not that car for me. i understand this. you told me about 4 times already that i would need a big sum of money. i understand. but i would like to know the amount i would need. so please stop telling me that its not the car for me. please and thank you

Old 07-07-2011, 03:53 PM

Okay, here goes...

Off the top of my head, to do the swap and get it all running I'm guessing five to eight thousand dollars (at the bare minimum) if you do the work yourself; two to three times that if you pay someone to do the swap for you.

Long story short, the swap isn't worth it, not only is it stupid expensive for a daily driver, it will so reduce the resale value of the car that you'd be lucky to get fifty cents on the dollar if you were to sell it; significantly less than that if the swap isn't factory perfect.

Old 07-10-2011, 02:00 PM

$8k would cover it if you are using all used parts and cutting corners. $10k would get you a rebuilt motor, rebuilt trans, all the electronics and wiring, a tune, and the twin to single turbo swap you need.

the intercooler setup by greddy is a $2000 investment alone.

Old 07-12-2011, 02:32 PM

jesus that is bad . well if in the future i will do the swap. thanks guys for telling me the amount it would be. because i wouldnt have got it my self.

Old 07-15-2011, 08:21 PM

ok one more question. say i was able to buy the engine. could it still run with the rx8 trans . for a while . so i can save even more money for it?