Mazda RX-7 Starting in the 1970s, the uniquely powered RX-7 helped put Mazda on the performance car map.

Transmission Woes.........and the men that deal with them

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2005, 10:14 AM
Default Transmission Woes.........and the men that deal with them

Hey Guys:

I could use some advice or a link to some pertinent articles/threads if anyone has any information concerning the following:

I recently changed the fluid and filter of my 1990 RX7 Convertible Automatic Transmission. Say, 3 weeks ago. The car was just fine up until a day or so ago. It seemed to be shifting a bit crisper than before. I am now experiencing...........

1) All Gears are able to be accessed with the Shift Lever, and car goes into all Gears (P, R, N, D, S, L)

2) Shift Indicator on Dash only shows "N", even when car is in Park.

3) While running and driving, the car starts off fine while depressing the accelerator for a second or so........then shifts into high gear. It takes forever to wind up and get going. Seems to reset itself at every stop light. This is a new problem, so for about 1-3 seconds when I first start off from a stop, I think the car is fixed.........then.......here we go again!!!!!!!!!!

Note that I had experienced this problem on previous occasions before changing the fluid and filter. A quick change down into "S" from "D" would solve the problem. Then I could switch back to "D". I didn't really think too much of it, as it happened very infrequently.

I have stopped driving the car, as it is a little dangerous not to have the get up and go to compete with a bicycle..........

I have checked the Vacuum Line that is attached to the side of the Transmission (Drivers Side......on Tail of Transmission, a bit in front of Speedo Cable) ....wiggled it around a bit to make sure it was snug.....and pushed it back on to make sure it was tight. ( Might I need to remove this, silicone it to make sure it is sealed and slide it back on?) It seemed that it was affixed properly when I first took a look at it. I also tightened the speedometer cable cover (Speed Sensor) at the Transmission as it seemed loose. Not really sure if that is the right Component name for what I tightened......sort of a thimble thing that went around the cable.....with a hex on one end...and knurled round on the other......it was leaking a bit of fluid.....so I gave it a quick turn.

Anywhey...........If anyone out there has any imput as to what I might be experiencing, I would surely appreciate any help or advice.........

and by the way guys......I know I ought to just yank the darn thing out and put the 5 Speed in.....but she is a daily driver, and I don't have the parts setting in my garage........plus I feel kinda lame having my Wife shuttle me back and forth to work.......LOL. Waiting on a ride sucks.......even if some good lookin chick is coming to get you......I just need to get it fixed quickly, so that I can access my options.........however, after reading through a lot of posts.....the 5 SPD sounds like the way to go.

Thanks for any help in advance!
John