Mazda RX-7 Starting in the 1970s, the uniquely powered RX-7 helped put Mazda on the performance car map.

Rx 7 general Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 03:17 AM
Default Rx 7 general Questions

Hey what's up? I have a few questions, I got this 87 rx7 non-turbo, standard transmission.
I got the car for 50 dollars, interior is fairly good, and the exterior paint is dull because of sitting in the sun too long, for like 2 years.
I tried to start the car twice, and in has no response, the last owner told me that when he started it the last time, the car will make a lot of smoke, I took the spark plugs out and I found oil in the engine, of course, in a "normal" engine that is sign of a bad engine rings, here comes my first question, does that apply on this kind of engine?
Second, since I have no too much money i decided to get an used engine, the car where it was had like 70000 miles, the car was wrecked. If i install this used engine, what would be the first thing to check for? any special recommendations before putting the engine in?
Third. When i bought the used engine i was thinking of install it and with the old one out, try to rebuilt it, but somebody told me that those engines are not rebuildable is that true?
Thanks in advance for any feedback.!!!

Old 08-11-2006, 03:57 AM
Default RE: Rx 7 general Questions

- Not starting can be many problems, flooding, carbon lock, broken seal, etc.
- Smoke can be a sign of coolant rings needing replacing, thus requiring a rebuild
-Oil is supposed ot be in the combustion chamber to lubricate the seals, the rotary burns oil on perpose
-They are rebuildable, but the rebuild kits are costly with the cheaper ones being around $800.
- Try and take the used engine apart and with a cheap rebuilf kit replaces all seals and rings if possible, check for wear on the housings, plates, and seals

In that oder of your quesitons. Get a Haynes manual they help out alot. You'll find the rotary is easy to work on with 3 moving parts and most people with little prior mechanical knowelege can rebuild them to a manual. Good luck and I'm happy to see your interest in the Rx-7.