Mazda Miata (MX-5) This compact RWD model, offered with many engines options for those are who want to cruise with the top down in a base model, or hit the track in one of the high performance models, has been a popular model since its introduction.

General Miata Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 06:05 PM
Default General Miata Questions

Alright, bare with me, i'm new to the site. I looked for a sticky that answered my questions but was unable to find one so please don't burn me lol.

Ok so i'm looking at possibly buying an 01 MX-5 Miata SE with about 70K miles on it. the price is right and vehicle appears to be in good shape. My question is, what are the typical problems or parts that give you guys trouble with Miata's? (Obviously, this doesn't include all the basic normal mantainence.)

I come from the Audi forums, so i'm used to timing belts and water pumps (depending on the model)

Any info would be much appreciated
thanks
ZT

Old 05-13-2009, 12:46 PM

We have had our 2001 Miata Mx-5 since 2003 and have so few problems it is unreal. It has been said these cars are built like fine swiss watches!

Old 05-13-2009, 02:28 PM

I've got a '99 1.8L (FP engine) Protege DX (same as SE) manual transmission with 93,000 kms.
In Canada , EGR failures were an issue because of the severe climate, but that issue has been ironed out.
It's also prone to hidden splits in the ( $50) engine air intake duct, which can have you tearing your hair out trying to find out why it's misbehaving.
The car is just great provided its been looked after, and has a good reputation among owners and mechanics alike.
Accessability in the engine compartment and behind the dash can be challenging tho'.
It's worth its weight in gold if you can get its maintenance history, a professional inspection, and a Mazda concessionaire OBD scan on it with a hard copy of the results.
As a condition of the contract of sale, you should also insist on a statement to the effect that the vehicle has not been restored subsequent to being an insurance writeoff.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:12 PM

Hi,
I can't speak for the newer models since I've never had one, but if the new ones are anything like the older models you can hardly go wrong. I have a 90 5 speed Miata with 171000 miles that all I do is add gas and change the oil.( timing belt when due, filters, etc of course) Does not even use oil between changes. I also have a 92 automatic with a 125000 miles that is the same way. Both of these cars are great to drive. The suspensions are still tight. Now I bought both used and have no idea of what may have been done in the past. But seeing how both feel about the same I'd think the lower mileage one has a long life yet. The higher mileage one, who knows? Be interesting to see. Could crap out any day, but I doubt it.

zoom zoom

Old 05-17-2009, 10:57 AM
Default miata problems

I've had my 2001 since 2003. It now has 69k on it. The only repair it ever need was the rear transmission seal leaked. It's now time for timng belt, water pump and cam seals though. I also have problems with roof leakage, but that may be be because of the south florida sun and the fact that i never put any protectant on them for the past 6 years.