Mazda RX-7 Starting in the 1970s, the uniquely powered RX-7 helped put Mazda on the performance car map.

Over heating??

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 05:12 AM
Default Over heating??

Everyone i need help... my rx7 1986 non turbo over heats and water seems to be not running through it... it leaks out... im not sure whats wrong with it but i need some help...... QUICK!!!!!!!! THANK YOU!!!!!

Old 06-21-2006, 06:27 AM
Default RE: Over heating??

replace your thermostat. As long as your add coolant light hasn't come on, that is most likely the problem and it is permanently shut closed.

Old 06-21-2006, 12:32 PM

Well my add coolant light is on.. and what do u mean by shut on or something???? explain...

Old 06-21-2006, 04:59 PM

He means that the thermostat may be stuck closed and not allowing coolant to flow thru the engine. Since the 'coolant' light is on then you are probably low on coolant in the radiator top tank. Add a good coolant/water mixture a make sure the system is completely full. There is an air bleed screw on the side of the radiator top tank where the upper hose connects that will allow you to bleed air out of the radiator. Fill with coolant untill coolant runs out of the air bleed screw and then top up the rest of the way. You also said it just leaks out. Where is coolant leaking from or can you tell?? Low coolant will also cause it to overheat as well as a thermostat.

Old 06-21-2006, 06:29 PM

Well its leaking from the front of the car, but i can't tell where at though...

Old 06-21-2006, 09:21 PM

Check your water pump. Could be leaking at the gasket or through the weep-hole.

Old 06-21-2006, 10:41 PM

Well i took it to the shop and they said something might b wrong with the radiator like that....

Old 06-22-2006, 01:13 AM

My water sysem is fine.. i have a new water pump... i refill my whole radiator and i even bled it.. and when u drive it hard it seems like the water system or engine cant hold the water pressure when it heats up and the water just overflows the reservoir... a buddy of mine told me that my engine maybe blown but im not sure.. i need a second opinion....

Old 06-22-2006, 02:25 AM

Well the leak is most likely the problem, take a good look at all the hoses and make sure that they are still clamped on well and that there are no cracks or deformities in the hoses. Then adress the radiator. Cooling systems can be frustrating to work with but good luck with everything.

(Also no need ot replace the thermostat unless problems continue with the leak fixed)

Old 06-22-2006, 12:27 PM

Sounds like the coolant seals are shot. If they are, time for a rebuild.

Quick Reply: Over heating??