Mazda RX-7 Starting in the 1970s, the uniquely powered RX-7 helped put Mazda on the performance car map.

Newbie needing help,stressed out bad!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 04:43 PM
Default Newbie needing help,stressed out bad!

whats up guys im new to the rx7 world. just bought an 87 13b nt and its giving me problems and stressing me out real bad. it drives fine(well sorta),it shifts through all the gears just fine. the main problem is that it wont go above 60. its gutless as hell. the guy i bought it from said it needs new popoff valves, but ive never heard of them.the way i look at is is thier could be a 100 things wrong and i could just figure it out by procces of elimanation. dont mind doing that but i need help knocking a lot of things out. Ive been thinking that it might be fuel pump/filter but I really dont know. Please guys i need help bad.

Old 09-14-2006, 11:07 PM
Default RE: Newbie needing help,stressed out bad!

Not sure what he would be talking about a pop off valve on a non-turbo either?? A pop-off valve would be used on a turbo engine to relieve intake overpressure when the throttle is suddenly closed while in boost.

How is the idle slayer246290?? If idle is relatively smooth then would not suspect engine compression failure in one of the rotor housings but if idle is rough and surging then would have you take a look at that first. If you are primarily having a severe loss of power with limited high end speed then would be looking at an exhaust restriction first off. Very common problem with RX-7 and loss of power is catalytic converters melting down and restricting the exhaust flow. You should have two small converters just after the exhaust manifold and one large main converter further down the pipes. You can either remove the converters and visually inspect them for damage or just loosen up the bolts at the manifold outlet as far as you can without them falling off and go for a drive to see if your power is dramatically increased. Loosening the bolts will allow the exhaust gas a place to escape without backing up into the engine. Be advised that it will be extremely LOUD so make sure the law is at Dunkin having there morning doughnuts when you do this.

Old 09-15-2006, 07:44 AM
Default RE: Newbie needing help,stressed out bad!

Thanks huey for the advice, ill try it out when i get home. im out of town right now. the idle is fine doesnt jump high at all. hope u dont mind me asking for more help in the future. I'll let u know what happens when i take the exhaust off to see if i gain any more power. thanks again

Chris