Mazda RX-7 Starting in the 1970s, the uniquely powered RX-7 helped put Mazda on the performance car map.

my progress thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 03:30 AM
Default my progress thread

for those of you who haven't seen, meet garee. he is my 87 mazda rx7 turbo II. he is an aries and enjoys long drives to the beach.
Name:  rx7shots2-1.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  28.4 KB
Name:  intercooler.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  20.5 KB
Name:  accompressor.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  30.2 KB
back to a serious matter; as you can see, he is pretty much stock in the pics. at only 81k original miles, he is also very clean. as a matter of fact, the only mod in the pics is a racingbeat turboback exhaust. well, he was in need of some general maintenance and the stock intercooler was pretty much useless. with the amount of boost that the exhaust had the turbo spiking, i was constantly dealing with fuel cut. my plans had constantly changed on what i wanted to do, but i finally settled on staying pretty much stock and find another car to build as a drag-strip car.

the main issue with my car is that it came basically as fully loaded as a turbo II came. just about all of the options had to go in order to upgrade the air cooling system or else i would still be blowing hot air into the motor with the stock turbo. the only real upgrade here is either a front mounted intercooler or a v-mounted intercooler. front mounted seemed to be the best option for me since i wanted to stay pretty much stock. anyways, on to the good stuff.

this is the basic bill-of-materials for this build;
2 750 cc siemens injectors and clips
r-tek 1.7 ecu (stock ecu modified into a stand-alone)
greddy compression elbow
banzai racing emissions BOP kit
universal FMIC kit with 2.5" piping and core measuring 27"x 6"x 3"
apexi BOV and flange
some 4 awg wire to relocate my battery
manual steering rack to replace my power rack

here are just a couple of pics.
one of the siemens injectors. i used two, both in secondaries. i kept the stock injectors for primaries.

FMIC. core is something generic with tanks welded by a friend of mine.
Name:  FMIC.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  21.2 KB

i don't have pics of the other stuff, since i haven't really stopped long enough to take many pics. so far, i have pulled the upper intake manifold, blocked off a couple of things, pulled the stock secondaries, soldered in the after market clips, started relocating the battery, pulled the cruise control, pulled most of the emissions, pulled most of the vacuum lines, and did some work on the throttle body. here is where it sits;
Name:  enginprogress.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  60.6 KB

i am only slightly pleased with my progress, though i have managed to average about 70 hours a week at work as well as get all of this stuff done over the last 3-4 weeks.
the things that are left to do; run new vacuum lines, finish the wiring on the battery, pull the rest of the vacuum lines and spiders, drop the new injectors in for good, block off the egr valve, block off the bac valve, block off extra coolant lines, swap out the power steering for manual, pull the a/c, run/weld the intercooler tubing, and build a bracket for the intercooler. this sounds like a lot of work, but i can see the light at the end of the tunnel. the tear-down has been a nightmare, so everything else will have to go much more smoothly. i will keep updated on what i am doing next. mostly, i will post the final pics that you all really want to see anyways.

Old 03-06-2009, 04:22 AM
Super Moderator

Go Wes, Go!!! 70 hrs @ work and getting this stuff done is no small feat and means you didn't have time for too much else... not even sleep.
Good job. Keep up the good work, and looking forward to seeing "him" done.

Old 03-06-2009, 07:04 AM

Will definitely be watching this thread. Looking good so far.

Old 03-06-2009, 03:56 PM

thanks guys. looks like i get to get one more night of work in on it since work called and canceled. i have to work all weekend though, so that is the trade-off. i'm about to **** of my neighbors off by pulling it out of the garage and onto the driveway. i'm just pact into my garage where it sits, so i need some room.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:56 AM

got it onto the driveway and, indeed, pissed all of my neighbors off. it has current registration and inspection, so the police can't do anything until it doesn't move for 10 days. i still haven't finished, but i have been sick this weekend and the cough syrup is all that is keeping going right now.

i got the ecu installed, pulled the p/s and a/c, got all of the fuel lines and vacuum lines ran. i am about to drop the manual steering rack in and run the intercooler lines. after that, it will be ready to start tuning.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:40 PM
VB

Originally Posted by wsoape281
got it onto the driveway and, indeed, pissed all of my neighbors off. it has current registration and inspection, so the police can't do anything until it doesn't move for 10 days.
That's ridiculous, I guess the laws are different in Texas. My friend's 79 T/A has been in his driveway for 2 years without incident. Another friend's Honda for three.

Old 03-13-2009, 06:37 AM

it's the local deed restrictions that get us. the deed restrictions are different from one neighborhood to another, but city ordinances do say that they can't do anything if the car is inspected and registered. of course, that does require someone to complain about it being there. if no one complains, nothing ever happens.

Old 03-21-2009, 01:52 AM

garee is a twin to my dad's old car , different color though. too bad he sold awhile ago. Would have loved to take notes on this thread and then do some work myself. keep us updated.

Last edited by jbracefan1977; 03-21-2009 at 01:54 AM.
Old 03-21-2009, 06:04 AM

here is a help page from a really respected builder. this is just on emissions removal, but it has a few of his personal tips on it. it's a good read for anyone planning serious work and there are some other links to things that can really help you out on the edge of the page.

http://www.rotaryresurrection.com/ro...emisremov.html

jbracefan, second gens are getting a lot more common and the aftermarket for them is getting a lot better. if you really liked your dad's car, find another one. i have worked on many many other cars and i haven't found anything that i have liked working on more. it's been an awesome project and i am constantly planning the next step.