Mazda RX-7 Starting in the 1970s, the uniquely powered RX-7 helped put Mazda on the performance car map.

Joe Maddox Super Rare 1/100 1989 FC3S GTUs RX7 2JZ GTE VVTI Build

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2021, 03:47 AM

Today I got the new RE Amemyia 80mm Redom gauge... This thing is really rare and I am really happy I got one because the craftsmanship is amazing. The gtus may not have a turbo, it might get a 13bt at some point but for now it will do a great job showing me if I ever have a vacuum leak and a really sweet set up where the stereo was... Because this thing is huge!

Here it is next to the Knightsports gauge i am now running in the rhd 2jz.

Now i must find the white face 10k re amemyia cluster!

Old 08-05-2021, 02:49 PM

Alright... I have been putting this off for a while now. It has been a roller coaster and there is still some things pending. Where to start..?

I have decided to go back to the original plan of swapping in the 2jz. The rhd savanna will get the header and the 13b motors I have. The reason I decided this was I was scammed by the rotary community for the last time. I'm not going into it here, but here is the run down:
And the short version:

So yeah, he and the local rotary power northwest crew scammed me to do their JZ swap. So I've got a dead 13b motor I'm not using and staying the course with my JZ swap.
In the end he was taken to court, he lost and now has to pay me back. Hundreds turned into thousands and we will see if he follows through paying it off.

Last edited by Joe maddox rx7; 08-05-2021 at 11:27 PM.
Old 08-05-2021, 03:20 PM

While dealing with that I also was scammed by the Russian eBay seller who claimed to have that restored set of MS01 rims. After the time it was supposed to arrive came and went I started a duspute... Then a pair showed up damaged.

I filed with eBay and reported him to my bank, he collapsed and unraveled and eBay and the bank sided with a full refund.

In the end I get the two right side, front and rear rims that were damaged. I already had them repaired. However no caps, no set, no good. Clearly he sent me the two restored miss matched ones in the back ground of the set he claimed he was selling. Will not be surprised to see them pop up again on eBay in the future, beware.

So I tried again! Another set popped up, 17s this time, used, I went for it.

Same deal again. The front two show up damaged, two are missing and seller claims he's at a loss.

He asks how much the two are worth. I show him marketplace and another set on eBay and he refunded the missing rims worth. All good. I had these two fixed and started looking locally for more.

So I got a set of 17x9s I found locally!

Then another mint one showed up on eBay in the states and I snagged it up!

So in the end I have a complete set of the 16 & 17 MS01 Lemans style, a spare pair of restored 16 ms01 lemans rims and one spare 17 that's mint. I am going to run one set on the rhd white comet and one on the gtus.

Old 08-05-2021, 03:39 PM

While hashing out all of that I started helping out on the miata build. We got some new parts for it and I'm honestly pretty impressed with the quality of Megan Racing. Liams full build miata project is really coming together and will be awesome to see it on the road!

I had to snag up on some Megan Racing parts for the GTUs build after that. I know I have a dozen strut bars already but this ones really cool. Modeled after the Mazdaspeed style but stamped and well painted.

Making my collection rather nice now. I'll probably run the racing beat, RE or knight sports.

Last edited by Joe maddox rx7; 08-05-2021 at 03:44 PM.
Old 08-05-2021, 04:01 PM

Well I have been putting it off for a while... however it's time to get back to the bodywork. Here is where I left off:

So I started getting the sanding and body prepped for dtm primer.

A nice day came along and I decided to toss some primer on it!

Old 08-05-2021, 04:28 PM

I have finally gathered up every new seal and oem interior parts new with these. Very excited to put it together soon!

I got the hubs all done, new everything. Also snagged up on a great set of new fd housings for free!

Also got the 2jz sump all ready to assemble. Looking forward to dressing up the motor and dropping it in after paint!

Old 08-05-2021, 04:38 PM

I'm sure you noticed the Works rims in the previous picture... I am waiting to get the rubber for them and then I will get more pictures. Here is a little teaser of the daily rims for the gtus:

I'm going to restore the paint on these for the rhd white comet and the 16 ms01 rims will be restored for the gtus.

Meanwhile I am getting to the sandingsand final touches before putting down color!

Last edited by Joe maddox rx7; 08-05-2021 at 04:52 PM.
Old 01-16-2022, 08:25 AM

Right now liam and I are taking a break on it to finish up his miata. He has shot well over 6 ft and is not able to fit it, so he is taking on the rhd, we are putting the 2jz in it and we are restoring the GTUs back to OEM plus. We are making some serious progress to the shop as well. It will be a real shop now. New walls, upstairs, shingle roof, 80 gallon compressors and lifts, the works! The shop just got all new power added to it and now has fresh 120 and 240 to it. So the fun can now begin with year round projects! Here are a few updated pictures. I will get more organized soon and updated the thread with more GTUs pics. But base coat is down, weather is poor so we are waiting until spring to finish and enjoying the others while we wait!

Cleaning up the rails from the brake master leak.

Now the coolest thing so far is that I ended up buying back my very first car... When I was 16 my first car was a nissan 200sx, I bought it from a auction lot yard that bought dead cars. They got it running and sold it to me for 600 bucks. I beat it near to death rallying it all over Oregon. Put it almost to 200k miles on it when I sold it to a local for 200 bucks. It needed a fuel pump and line but was still running. He took it to his place near albany and it died. He registered it but never got it going. It sat there for a decade until I just went back and bought it back. So when I was 16 I had a job at mcdonalds and bought this car then. almost 20 years later I am about to turn it back into my drift car!

Old 09-28-2022, 04:53 AM

Not even sure where to start... I'll give it a good update soon 😆

Old 10-09-2022, 02:58 AM

Ok! Lot has happened since the last update, as you can see they are now painted, I will try to walk through the process on how this came to be!

This is what the underside of the GTUs looked like when i started. I decided to take it all the way down as well and paint it with the outside.

After getting everything prepped for assembly i got started on the paint

I started with the engine bay

The underside turned out great!

Ready for all the new parts!

So after an unbelievable amount of elbow grease I was ready for the assembly of the suspension and brakes!

However i got distracted again. Liam wanted another go at an rx7, the miata was finished up and he is loving the 2jz build.

Liams 16th birthday party he inherited the 2011 Signature Series!

We got the new engine installed 😎

Engine in!

Swag 😎

New Megan racing exhaust!

New mazdaspeed ms01r rims!

The collection grows! A set of 15in ms01 type R for the miata. 16in ms01 lemans for the gtus. 17in ms01 lemans for the white comet 18in ms01 forged fir the mb fd. That leaves the restored set of 16s and 17s fir the wall above each fc!

So we found a rare 1/1985 released sport model (manual everything, no sunroof, manual steering, no bins or rear seats, etc... light). One owner, last on the road in 1997.

He instantly got to work on it!

I will need to make a build thread soon for this fc. Big plans, a gtus jr.

It will be a quicker thread. The low car to the gtus high car build.

Quick Reply: Joe Maddox Super Rare 1/100 1989 FC3S GTUs RX7 2JZ GTE VVTI Build