Mazda RX-7 Starting in the 1970s, the uniquely powered RX-7 helped put Mazda on the performance car map.

Joe Maddox Super Rare 1/100 1989 FC3S GTUs RX7 2JZ GTE VVTI Build

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2020, 06:23 PM

Got set up to do the suspension parts, finish the crossmember swap for the 2jz engine and will be getting started on cleaning up the engine bay, working on the under carriage and getting it ready to put those new shoes on it!

The 1990 Right Hand Drive Savanna Rx7 build got new metal and a new bn sports body kit, site claimed legit. It feels rep. Whatever. It will be getting ready for paint with the GTUs now that it has a brand new interior in it! Good to have a full black mint condition and a full blue mint condition interior, contrast is key to life! lol Right and left hand drive. One knight sports and one bn sports

I will be getting to the sub frame and hubs and everything next! Might even sell the kit and just do a white comet clone!

Last edited by Joe maddox rx7; 12-21-2021 at 07:08 PM.
Old 03-26-2020, 07:00 PM
Cool

Power By Max goodies are in the mail and heading this way! Getting the Energy Suspension kit installed on the S4 control arms from the parts car. The hubs are getting new bearings and extended ARP wheel studs. Should have it all gathered up and put together during the quarantine lol.

So I got these parts and was about to order the diff and sub frame solid bushing kit but they were not able to process anything outside of the USA... So I ended up getting the Derlin kit for the moment, in case I cannot get the PMB ones later.

Old 03-26-2020, 07:14 PM

Old 03-26-2020, 08:54 PM
Exclamation

I wanted to take a moment and go over the history of this car.

This video is possibly this car... That being said here is MotorWeek in 1989 talking about this cars release.

The GTUs is nothing more than a GTU with some special parts on it. The car itself is only different because of the 4:30 LSD differential, turbo seats and the turbo brakes. The cars also all came as non sunroof options, which was only available from the factory as a special order at the factory and was a roof skin replacement. The only reason for their release was that Mazda was not shipped enough turbo 13b engines from Japan and when confronting mazda about it they were told to release the cars under the GTUs badge with non turbo motors but the turbo interior package. The differential,steering and transmission gearing was the option that was going to make them their own stand alone model.

There are NO restamped GTUs models. There are however restamped GTU models as shown here:
https://www.rx7club.com/2nd-gen-gene...il-fc-1129229/

There are many other rare models. The 10 AE Turbo II has only 1500 of them made, there are only 1400 Infini models, 1000 Final Edition and 150 92 Final Edition Vert. But the GTUs is the rarest rx7 model ever produced.

Vins make the car rare, they make the swag and models rare. So that got me thinking. How many are left??? I asked around and that is how I came to realize that there are only a few left, this car is VERY rare and I am glad to be saving it from the salvage yard it was destined for!

Peter started the 89-90 GTUs Owners Club thread on the rx7club almost 20 years ago, Ian is one of the moderators and we all know Rotary Resurrection. So we know that there are not near as many as the original amount produced still on the road. The two that peter showed in the thread are gone as are many many more, the legality of him bringing them back is questionable if they are cut up as it appears. There are far fewer than I thought and when the new thread started and the old thread was bumped it is looking like there not even a dozen that can be found today!

There are very few of these models left and I found and registered it on the club a while back when I first got the car. I posted up a build thread and then started learning about what made it so different. Although I have been driving and building rotary cars since 1999 I somehow had missed learning about this one along the way.

Confusion is normal when figuring out collector cars and the way that some of them came to be. This one here is one of my favorites. The seven stock 2016 has some of the best photos of the red on black model! Be sure to check it out on youtube! I showed a great company that can get the factory stickers in the thread for those who are seeking GTUs stickers in a restoration!

So here is the GTUs registry list, the rare 100 GTUs models claimed to be real so far. There are not as many names as I would have hoped to have found on it. 83 red on black, 10 black on black, 7 white on blue. What is known to be left:

So I am #41 on the GTUs Registry list and as shown there it is one of the three known remaining left of the seven made! That car in the video could be the one right here! one in seven chances!

I look forward to bringing more pictures and videos of this thing coming together!

Last edited by Joe maddox rx7; 08-12-2020 at 02:28 PM.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:13 PM
Cool

I ended up getting the Power By Max problem worked out, the store in the USA can ship out parts from the other stores around the world through their checkout, so I got all the rest of the parts for the subframe and diff!
​​​​​​​

Old 03-27-2020, 06:39 AM

One of the guys on the groups had a set of louvers for sale in my area. I happen to have a nice CorkSport exhaust and some mint condition red seats he was looking for and set up the trade. He came over and we swapped!

They are in pretty good shape. Now I have two sets. I can run one on the GTUs and one on the Savanna. One RHD and one LHD... Problem I face now is I also have a shine roof spoiler and was thinking about running it on the GTUs. So now I have decisions to make.

Old 04-01-2020, 03:51 AM

Old 04-05-2020, 03:36 PM
Smile

Power By Max solid bushings and Derlin poly bushings came in for the GTUs.
I just bought the solid bushings to replace the Derlin ones though, so they will be going in the miata or rhd rx7.

Old 04-12-2020, 02:52 AM
Cool Bringing The GTUs RX7 Back!

Well... I made the car model really popular within the rotary community and there are several popping up again and a few that are making false claims. I am excited to see how many get confirmed as legit and are real GTUs models! To confirm the model it takes showing a picture of the car, the door ID tags and the firewall vin number! That't it! There are no other cars with those credentials!

Last edited by Joe maddox rx7; 08-12-2020 at 02:31 PM.
Old 04-12-2020, 03:00 AM
Cool Apexi N1 Dual Exhaust

So Andy's was a scam. They said they had, it was not in stock, they said they could get it, they could not. So... I ordered the one they had in stock at apexi online and then found it was also, not in stock. Yup. Lame. Had this before, loved it, want it again. So Apexi was called to see if they could still get it. They said that another company just bought all of them and that is an old model they do not make anymore. I asked if they can still have one made and they said they will make one more for me. I got to put in the order and am awaiting one being made and shipped from Japan right now! Not only are they making one for me they are selling it to me for the price quoted for the one in stock and the 40$ shipping that the site quoted me for it! I love Apexi!

Quick Reply: Joe Maddox Super Rare 1/100 1989 FC3S GTUs RX7 2JZ GTE VVTI Build