Mazda RX-7 Starting in the 1970s, the uniquely powered RX-7 helped put Mazda on the performance car map.

I need Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 07:11 PM
Unhappy I need Help

So i'm taking the manual trans out of my donor car to replace the auto in my project car and thought i was safe just removing the clutch. I then realized the brake pedal in the auto is like 5inches wide so i need to get the brake pedal out of the donor too. Heres the problem, the long bolt that goes thru both is bent where the clutch was so it cant just slide out like it says in the manual. Anyone have any suggestions??? This past weekend i went to our local race track and watched my bro-in-law take part in a racing school. I hope i can get this car ready so i can do the same next year. Check it out kinda cool, theres vids too
Winnipeg Sports Car Club

Old 05-10-2012, 07:23 AM

If you have a donor car, easiest way to do this swap is to remove the complete bracket with the clutch & brake pedals still attached & install it in your car. This is how it is usually done, & how I had done it on one of my FCs. Also, keep the Auto Computer in your car. It actually makes more power than if you swap the manual one in. Trust me...lol

-Sheldon.

Old 05-10-2012, 06:53 PM

Thanks Sheldon, ill give that a try. Like i said this is the first time i've ever worked on a car to this extent so i'll prolly be askin alot of newb questions. I apologize in advance. One more thing, To remove the diff from the donor car can i just take out the diff or do i need to drop the whole subframe? The manual shows 2 bolts up towards the front of the diff but they are next to impossible to get at. The manual makes it look so easy.

Old 05-12-2012, 04:56 PM

Hey Sheldon, I finally got the rear end out of my donor car. What a task!!. So i tried as you suggested to take the entire clutch and brake bracket out of my donor car. I have all the bolts out, including the two under the steering column, but this bracket just wont budge, Does the dash have to come out as well? Any help would be much appreciated.

Jeff(newb mechanic)

Old 05-14-2012, 06:53 AM

Hey Jeff. No the dash does not need to come out. Have you removed the bolts that hold the brake master cyl to the firewall? These also attach to that bracket. It will take some persuasion, but it will come out.

-Sheldon.

Old 05-16-2012, 06:15 PM

Hey Sheldon, yeah after taking another close look at the bracket i realized the brake booster had to come out. The bracket pretty much fell out after that. Another lesson learned. Now i have all the parts i wanted off the donor, time to start work on the project car. Have u ever done a F/I to carb conversion on a fc and if so does the weber kit come with full instructions? And other than the kit from say mazdatrix, is the fuel pump all thats needed to complete the conversion? Most youtube vids i see of carbed rotaries show what looks like a distributer. Do u know of any write-ups on this conversion?

Old 05-17-2012, 07:34 AM

Have always kept all my FCs FI. Actually rebuilding my '87 T2. Full streetport, 570cc injectors, Jspec intake & exhaust manifolds, Haltech E6X EMS, AEM Uego, etc.....lol

Old 05-17-2012, 08:11 PM

Sounds cool, like i said b4 this is my first go at this so i have alot of questions. I wanna do this right.