Mazda RX-7 Starting in the 1970s, the uniquely powered RX-7 helped put Mazda on the performance car map.

buying an RX-7

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 07:09 PM
Default buying an RX-7

i'm looking at a 1988 RX-7 convertible to buy. i haven't owned an RX-7 since '79 and it was a great car. i do now have an '01 miata, but came across the 7 and it just seemed too good a deal to pass.
it has a great body and paint(black on black), interior is so-so, does need one seat bottom redone, tires are excellent, but they are the "rubber band" type on chrome wheels...not something i like. the top is good. the only problem i know of is it needs a clutch slave cylinder. that's no big deal, but just wondered if there's something else i should look for mechanically. it does have 200k miles, but just doesn't show it cosmetically. i can pick it up for $1,800. just wanted some opinions/advice from those that know these models better than me. thanks, bud

Old 11-07-2007, 07:36 PM
Default RE: buying an RX-7

Original motor or rebuild?

Old 11-07-2007, 07:53 PM

as far as i know, it's original. i'm heading out to check it out some more this weekend. i saw it when i was at a motorcycle rally a couple weeks ago, but it was a dealer and they were closed on sunday. i've talked to him a couple times since and he says it runs real good, just the slave cyclinder issue and i've checked auto parts here and they are only $37.00.
i'm an old car guy, but not much knowledge on these. just really like the looks and since i have the miata, thought they'd make a great pair.
wondered what you gurus could tell me to check out more closely. thanks, bud

[/align]

Old 11-08-2007, 07:18 AM

I don't know what type of condition that motor would be in with such mileage. I would get a compression check done @ a Mazda dealership before purchasing it.

Old 11-10-2007, 04:26 PM

If it is orig. engine then I would definitely have it looked at. And if they are telling you it is the clutch slave cylinder I would also replace the clutch master cylinder too. Check for any exhuast leaks as well.

Old 11-10-2007, 04:53 PM

thanks guys for the info, but i've passed on the car. drove 150 miles to look at it yesterday and the guy knew about what time i'd be there, so you'd think he would have checked the car himself and made sure it started, had oil, etc. fact is, he liked to never got it started, and when he did, the blue smoke just rolled out the exhaust and it kept smoking. the engine "hot" light was on even though it had just been started. when i opened the hood, it had a brand new electric fan, so my first thought was maybe it had been hot at one time. then i pulled the dipstick and there was not any oil at all on it!
he wouldn't budge off the $1,800, so i passed. to me it would have been about a thousand dollar car. then i could have put some money in it without feeling i was digging myself in a hole i'd never get out of. thing is, it did have a very nice body, paint, and decent interior. wasn't something i really needed, just thought i'd have something to "tinker" with during the winter. later, bud

Old 11-12-2007, 07:12 AM

I agree with you for passing on it. You can find a better running RX7 in that price range.