Mazda RX-7 Starting in the 1970s, the uniquely powered RX-7 helped put Mazda on the performance car map.

'86 13b to 13bt swap?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 04:31 PM
Default '86 13b to 13bt swap?

this must be a relatively small forum going on here or something... not many posts in the rx-7 side. not many posts in general. oh well that's not the problem here...

so if any of the (47 and counting) people that have viewed my post about my flooded 86 rx7 noticed, i'm looking to swap out my 13b for another engine. obviously another nicely rebuilt will bolt right in. and i keep hearing about all those people putting v8's and other non-mazda motors in your cars. (i'll stay away from that argument in this post) what about a 13b-13bt swap? what kind of difficulty am i looking at?

obviously ecu, hood, gauges (exhaust?) will need to be swapped too. what am i looking at as far as cutting things, rerouting lines? anybody done this swap? transmission from 13bt fit nicely too?

Old 11-17-2005, 04:46 PM
Default RE: '86 13b to 13bt swap?

well, i was lookin into the same for my vert.

i am gonna need ECU, 13BT Wiring Harness, Motor, Tranny, Rearend, I think you can adapt the N/A Exhaust to fit the Downpipe. You dont need the hood if your going Front mount IC. i was lookin at about a week or 2 to swap everything, and modifications. I was thinking of going Front Mount IC, Bigger Turbo, Bigger Injectors, Haltech Stand Alone, Electronic Boost Controller. but if u wanta do a N/A to Turbo Engine Swap, Look at a week to do.

Old 11-18-2005, 03:08 AM

ok fuel management, oil "management" (is that the word for it? lol), wastegates, BOV.... come standard if i were to just buy an '87 13bt (do they make them in 86 turbo?) i'm assuming it's not being boosted very high, maybe 7psi or something, since nobody goes out to buy FMU's, BOV's, etc when purchasing a stock turbo mazda...

any experience with just the 13bt's? not necessarily swapping, but insider info on what i should/could keep and what i should look into upgrading?

aaaaanndd... "rear end" what all do i need? what's different, what needs to stay?

i'm not looking for larger turbo, injectors, or anything... and probably going to want to keep top-mount IC... i just really want a stock turbo that's all

Old 11-18-2005, 10:15 AM

I was told that the stock N/A Rearend wont hold up to turbo abuse. i dunno, i guess they were talkin about racing. It also might have different gearing than the TII. I thought all S4 13BT's were the same. Ill need to do some reasearch on that. im guessing you can use any year motor if u get the harness and ECU with it.

Old 11-18-2005, 09:36 PM

Rotaryresurrection.com has a write-up on everything you'll need.

[IMG]local://upfiles/2005/BCA0B2E29FB84B39AA7CE7EEA52A9500.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-10-2009, 11:38 PM

okay im new here but i have some knowledge on this topic you may find useful. i looked into this awile back. what your gonna need to start is a full 13bt setup. i was told that the best bet for the swap is to use a third gen tII power train engine trans wiring harness etc. reason being is the engine handels boost ver efficiently. they run from factory at 10 psi there is a guy who is on another forum that owns a company called turbo blown all he does is make rotary engines turb and better he has a connection in california he set me up with for mine im awaiting delivery anyday now so there will be more to come. his web site is turboblown.com his name is elliott. once you get an engine this guy make manifolds and sells garrett turbos and acces. for very reasonable hell set you up with a 500 hp set up for around 2500 his friends enines come with enine, turbo, bov, intercooler, wiring harness, transmission, and any other goodies that came with the factory power train there guaranteed to start up and run. elliott informed me that i could safely fun 15-20 psi with a garrett t-66 turbo on the set up im getting from his friend. he made me a manifold and down pipe with all the stuff for my external waste gate. mine will be a front mount ic otherwise you need a hoop. hope i was helpful please feel free to pick my brain about any other questions regarding rotarys.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:59 AM

What is a third gen TII? The 3rd gen RX7 is a totally different car. That uses a 13rew not a 13bt.

Old 08-11-2009, 05:19 PM

the tII was in the third gen rx-7's its what they reffer to it on another forum i use. it is still a 13bt but its had a lot more engineering done to it. they have larger ports on them and the apex seals from the factory are alot nicer then the ones formally used. there still not as nice as what you can replace them with now but they will work for any builds you want to do for the time being. the transmissions have alot nicer gear set in them then the earlier years and they like being beat on. i hope i answered your question.

Old 08-11-2009, 05:21 PM

and btw i gave you guys the wrong contact info for elliott his web site in turboblown.net not turboblown.com im sorry for the confusion.

Old 08-12-2009, 07:14 AM

The T2 is not a 3rd gen. Was never offered in a 3rd gen. Please do some better research. The T2 was only offered in the US 1987-91 (2nd gen). The 3rd gen RX7 (1993-95) in the US, is a totally different car. Whatever other Forum you are referring to is giving wrong information. Thanks.

Quick Reply: '86 13b to 13bt swap?