Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

wipers not working

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 09:03 PM
Default wipers not working

the wipers on my 93 protege won't work no matter what setting I turn them to. The fuse is fine and the washer fluid sprayer works. Any suggestions?

Old 10-03-2006, 09:12 PM
Default RE: wipers not working

are your turn signals working properly b/c the combination switch can go bad causing the wipers not to work, if that is the case then it is a total bitch to fix the problem and replace the switch, usually you want to check that b/f replacing the motor. have you tried replacing the fuse? and check to make sure your brake lights and the turn signals are working if ther are it may not be the switch and just a bad motor, I probably would get a used one b/c they tend not to go bad very often. Post any results. B/f doing anything i would check the relay that controls the wiper's

Old 10-03-2006, 11:28 PM

the turn signals are working fine. the fuse is fine. brake lights and turn signals are working fine. how do I check the relay that controls the wipers?

Old 10-04-2006, 10:44 PM

Pull it out and put another one in there which you know works and has the same amps like the a/c relay or something, Also if you have a voltometer you could check for continuity, you really need a haynes manual which could tell you what is supposed to be open all the time, as opposed to closed connections. I am not really a mechanic but basically the relay's will go bad and need to be replaced. Check for the correct voltage going to the relay, which would be done with a voltometer, the haynes manual will tell you how much current or volts it should have. Also in case you are not familiar the relays will be located in a box inside the engine compartment and they are square looking things, the back side of the cover should tell you which ones do which. i have only had my protege for 2 days and have not really even looked under the hood so i cant tell you exactly where to find them but i am sure you can figure it out. Hopefully you dont have a problem with the switch inside the steering collumn, or the engine.