Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

What have you done to your protege today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 09:30 PM
tye

installed a accord mugen lip on my 97

Old 04-24-2010, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by 5ProMazder
Just replaced my door lock actuator on the rear left side. It was bugging hearing that grinding sound. Now all done.
I need that done also but that little actuator motor they want $48 bucks.

Old 04-25-2010, 09:24 AM

The door lock actuator from the autozone is the OEM. I have pics to do it step by step, but my pics exceed the limit on this forum. I can e-mail it if you like?

Old 04-25-2010, 10:34 PM
tye

baby oiled up my tires and there still nice and shiny black lookin'

Old 05-05-2010, 04:17 PM

i want to trade my black oem 16s for some 17 or 18 inch wheels and tires lmk if you are interested

Old 05-26-2010, 09:49 PM

Replaced spark plug wires, busted frontpipe, EGR valve, muffler, installed new cd player, and put in a cold air intake. The intake was really only replaced cause the previous owner ****ed up the intake hose. I had to drive to maryland to pick it up. When I first started driving, it was extremely difficult to engage 1st gear. After I got home, i discovered that the intake hose had been sliced in half and then duct taped back together. So I just decided to put the cold air intake on. Good quality but hefty price. I payed $370 for id say.. 8 - 12 hp... high end. So unless i'm over 4000 rpm, it doesnt really help much. Plus the P5 is HEAVY, 3600+ pounds I believe. So low end power doesnt exist.

Old 05-27-2010, 02:38 PM
Default Ideas

I just bought a 2003.5 mazdaspeed. Im wondering where I can get a good blow off valve? Where i can get a cheap blow off valve as well? I'm wondering what else I can do to it? SUch as bigger turbo? DIffrent intercooler? Does anyone know of a good replacement for the stock airbox?

Old 05-28-2010, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by mazdafamilia
I just bought a 2003.5 mazdaspeed. Im wondering where I can get a good blow off valve? Where i can get a cheap blow off valve as well? I'm wondering what else I can do to it? SUch as bigger turbo? DIffrent intercooler? Does anyone know of a good replacement for the stock airbox?
Don't waste your time on a blow off valve. It isn't worth it, the car doesn't respond well with them. You will run into stalling issues. Also, cheap isn't the way to go with these cars. You will regret it later on. The engines don't like a lot of boost so if you are looking for more power, keep it under 10 psi and get it tuned to be safe. What else can you do to it?..exhuast, intake and exhaust manifold upgrades, solid motor mounts are a must, shifter bushings, sway bar bushings, definitely upgrade the intercooler to either a better side mount or just get a front mount. Once you get a better intercooler with hardpipes, then you can look at getting a blow off valve, just make sure you recirculate it to avoid problems, invest in a piggyback EMS like split second or unichip. Split Second is user tuneable. Unichip has to be sent in to new tunes. Suspension is a key factor on these cars. They were built for handling so, upgrading as much of the suspension as you can will make the car fun, springs, strut braces, all GT Spec components(ladder brace, trailing arms, V brace and panel, trunk cage).

If you are not a member already, join www.mazdas247.com. Very informative forum.

Old 05-28-2010, 08:59 AM

Here is a post I sent to another guy on another forum. I hope this helps, if you have any questions, just send me a message:

welcome to the forums..you have a lot to learn. These are fun cars to drive and handle great. They are not built for straight line performance, so if you are looking for big numbers you have the wrong platform...unless money isn't an issue and don't have a problem rebuilding the motor. As for the intake, I have an Injen CAI and it is great. For exhuast, I have a Corksport 2.4 in catless exhaust and love it. Several people on here go the custom route though. It all depends on what you want. I know Corksport recently came out with a new 3 in exhaust so you can try them. They are a vendor on here. You can also try www.protegegarage.com or www.corksport.com. There are a couple of other vendors as well but two of them have been blocked from the forum. Another is www.speedcircuit.net. For the BOV, you will need the flange for that particular valve and you would have to get it welded to your hardpipes if the car has hardpipes. If the car still has the stock plastic pipes, don't waste your time and money on a BOV right now. Work on other parts of the car first. Also, the car doesn't respond well with a BOV anyway, you will run into stalling issues.
A little heads up, do not get boost happy with these cars. Your motor will not last long over 9-10 psi. The car has its quirks as well. Hopefully the previous owner took care of the car and possibly upgraded some things like the LSD. If not, look at getting a welded replacement or better. The stock LSD sucks, a majority of the forum has been through one or more so far including me. Just don't do any ricer burnouts, redlining or burnouts while turning. I will post a couple of threads regarding performance and problems for you to look at...

performance:
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showt...hp?t=123677826

Engine Management: http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89457

Problems: http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50549

Just browse through the entire Mazdaspeed Protege section and you will learn everything you need to know about the car because I guarantee you will have a lot more questions regarding the cars performance..everyone does. Also, where are you from? Post your location on your profile. You may have members on here that are close to you that can help you out as well.

Old 06-13-2010, 04:39 PM

Doing some Fiber-glassing on my custom fitted body kit to finish up the final shape!
The kit is from 3 different cars. Check out my link in my signature to see my protege from what she looked like to what she looks like now!

Quick Reply: What have you done to your protege today?