Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

Upcoming maintenance - recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 10:22 PM
Default Upcoming maintenance - recommendations?

Hi!

I'm planning on having all the belts replaced in my '94 DOHC Protege. I am seeking opinions suggestions for brands, etc...

I am concerned about longevity, so I was thinking about the Goodyear Gatorback belts, is their advertising hoopla on those for real? Or is just a bunch of bla bla bla?

So, anyway, I was thinking of getting the Gates Timing Belt Component Kit (which includes belt and tensioners). And then the Goodyear belts for the everything else...

Also, I had someone recommend replacing the water pump the same time the timing belt is replaced. I was thinking of an A1 Cardone (reman.) for 24.99, is that any good? Or should I get a more expensive one? OH! and do I need more than one gasket for that? Or is it just one gasket that I need? (I know, I have like 1,000 questions)

The Gates website recommends replacing the cam and crankshaft oil seals. Is that really necessary? The car doesn't consume any oil between changes (currently has 115,000 on it)...

Thanks everybody !

Old 03-20-2006, 11:55 PM
Default RE: Upcoming maintenance - recommendations?

The belts you mentioned are good quality, you should have no problem. When it comes to the water pump, always go for the new part. It may cost a few more $$ but well worth it. The new part will last longer and have less chances of failure. It is a good idea to replace these seals while you have the engine torn down to this point. At this point with 115k, the seals are on borrowed time. If you plan on doing this job yourself, you can purchase the seals just in case.

Old 03-21-2006, 08:45 PM

With all the parts... it comes to around $200... Wow... + maybe $100 labor?

Umm, is it OK to go with a cheaper brand belt (like Dayco) - or are those off limits? I noticed the Gates belts are a bit cheaper than the Goodyear, and they seem like a pretty good manufacturer from what I've read elsewhere... is it also OK to go with a cheaper brand tensioner (Dayco)? or would purchasing the more expensive brands make a difference (goodyear, gates).

Also, just to clarify. I'm kind of a novice when it comes to engine stuff...
Umm, on that side of the engine I have two camshaft oil seals (DOHC), and one crankshaft seal in that area, right? (basically the stuff that's typically replaced when doing this type of job)

Also, when I order a water pump, do most water pumps come with all the appropriate gaskets and such?

Thanks

Old 03-21-2006, 11:19 PM

Ok, I think I have this all figured out... I think I'm gonna order from Parts America, the free shipping defeats the purpose of finding the parts a tad bit cheaper elsewhere...

Timing Belt - Goodyear (40179): $37.99
WP & Alt. - Goodyear (17361): $11.99
PS w/out AC - Goodyear (4040350): $12.99
Timing Belt Component Kit - Dayco (84041): $77.99

Water Pump - ASC; new (WP833): $44.94

Camshaft Seals - Fel Pro Front Camshaft Seal Set (TCS45860): $9.99
Crankshaft Seal - Beck/Arnley Front Crank Seal (0523708): $4.99

Grand Total (w/out tax): $200.88

+ I'm guessing $100 labor???

Did I cover all the bases? Anything forgotten? Should add?

Thanks guys

Old 03-21-2006, 11:57 PM

It looks as if you covered about everything on the front of the engine. It's better to go with the better brands in the long run if you plan on keeping the car. You get what you pay for.

As for cam seals...yes there are two.

When ordering a new water pump, all gaskets and seals associated with it are included.

I would consider radiator hoses if they are original, and while the coolant is drained anyways.

If you can get a shop to do all this for $100, good luck! I would think a minimum of about a 5 hour job by book time at ~$75 hr labor rate. It may be higher or lower in your area.

Old 03-22-2006, 12:27 AM

I ended up going with the Gates component kit (belt and tensioners)...

I know an awesome Japanese mechanic that's doin it all for about $300 (I asked him to change the gear fluid too )... I think that's a pretty good deal, eh?