Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

at a total loss

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 07:40 PM
Default at a total loss

this isn't about a mazda. instead, it's about my work car. i have a geo metro that i use for work. recently, i rebuilt the motor and i let my dad do the final assembly. the car ran great for about 700 miles after the rebuild until...well...long story short, my dad left a loose bolt in the valve cover and it fell onto the cam which threw it through the valve cover and snapped the timing belt. since then, i have had the cam ground and balanced, cleaned the egr and ports, checked the fuel pressure, replaced the timing belt, and nothing has worked. the CEL hasn't came on so there is no way to pull codes, and i am at the end of my rope.

here are the stats on the car:
1.0L 3 cylinder
manual tranny
throttle body injection
electronic ignition

the only thing that i can think of is that one of the plug wires may have a hole in it. i am going to try this out today and see what the conclusion is. the shops i have taken it to just keep telling me that it is the EGR and i recently replaced it and had it checked after this happened and nothing there.