Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

Remove oil pan

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 08:11 PM
Default Remove oil pan

I have an oil leak on my 01 Protege (1.6L engine) and don't know if its crank seal or pan gasket. I bought a pan gasket set, but when I went to remove the pan, I saw that the drivers side is covered by a large bracket and I cant get to the pan bolts without removing this bracket. I think its a flywheel inspection bracket/cover but I'm not sure what I'll be getting into of I take it off. Do I need to support the tranny if I remove the bracket? Also, are there any other gaskets that would be disturbed at this bracket? Lastly, am I wasting my time with the pan since it could also be the crank seal?

One more question, what should I expect to pay for a timing belt replacement (since if its a crank seal I'd get the belt done at the same time)?

Any thoughts are appreciated... Bill

Old 08-28-2011, 08:37 PM

You might be wasting time because you are not sure which gasket or seal is to blame. There are ways to check. I would get the engine cleaned. If you do make sure that the electronics are well protected, the battery is taken out, and everything is thoroughly dry before you put it in again. The problem is that you could fry your ECM.
Now drive a few miles with your clean machine then inspect it. You should be able to find fresh traces of oil and that will tell you where it is coming from.
Some mechanics use a dye for the oil and a black light to see where it is seeping out.
BTW it is more enjoyable to work on a clean engine.