Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

Rear Sway Bar Orientation?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2021, 12:25 AM
Default Rear Sway Bar Orientation?

Hey all! Glad to find that there's a forum for this car. It's my first car, and I love the look and feel of it. I'm just beginning to learn about maintenance.

Anyway, while changing my rear sway bar bushings, I decided to take the whole sway bar out, sand out the rust and rust paint it. However I've since forgotten the original orientation that it was in, and my best guess doesn't seem right..I feel that the rear end links should point downwards, rather than to the side. And I think that the sway bar in the middle should drop down, rather than raise up? When it raises up it hits the underbody, so I presume it should go down.

I couldn't find anything online, other than this guys youtube video on a protege sedan. His sway bar goes in between those two thicker bars, and the end links point downwards. However when I put my sway bar in between the two thicker ones, I just couldn't get by end links to connect. The only way I can get it all connected is the way that I've got it below.

Any thoughts would be appreciated! Or please send a pic of your rear sway bar haha