Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

READY TO MODIFY MY PROTEGE, WHERE TO START

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 06:16 PM

So I'm looking into installing a short ram intake on my '99 1.6L Protege LX - http://siteground207.com/~protegeg/product_info.php?cPath=21_31_45&products_id=81 - this one in particular, is there anything besides the kit that I need to get? How do I know if the mass air flow sensor is included? Are there cheaper kits, or any kits with better performance?

This is my first time really doing anything to the car, the only other thing I've done was get a K&N Air filter. oo; Also, should I start a thread in what else I can do to the car?

Last edited by Rav3rs; 02-23-2009 at 06:21 PM.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:18 AM

you will re-use your stock MAF sensor rather than replacing it, so the kits generally don't come with them. as far as brand, they are all pretty much the same. i, personally, like the AEM for the fitment. it fits nice and looks great.

you won't need anything other than the kit to install an intake. the AEM intake will come with a dryflo filter that doesn't need any oil and it will also have all of the hardware that you need. for installation, you should just need a couple of screwdrivers and maybe a socket or two. it's been a while since i have done one, so i can't remember the exact tools.

Old 03-04-2009, 02:42 AM

So i have a header for my 02 protege. However today while i was researching the lower exhaust gasket on alldata, i realised that all headers for the protege deletes the front cat. Now there is another cat on the vehicle, however the front cat is the one being monitered by obd II hence the O2s before and after it and no O2s after the rear cat.

My question is, will installing a header in these vehicles pop a catalytic converter code? it seems like it probably would since it puts your only two O2 sensors in the same exhaust stream, it will act like the cat is no longer functioning?
this is just why normal obd II function leads me to believe that the ck eng lite would come on

any advice?

Old 03-04-2009, 10:57 AM

yes, a header will pull a code. what you need to do is either resist the primary o2 sensor (the one after the first cat) or do the no-fouler trick. i will get some info up on that. i just realized that i have none on that at all.

Old 03-04-2009, 11:45 AM

so what is this no fouler trick you speak of?
and if i choose to resist it. What Ohm resister? and do i do anything to the heater circuit?

also would the computor tuners (like from corksport) be able to turn that code off in any way or bypass it or something?

would it also be another option to extend the wires back and re-install the post cat o2 after the 2nd cat?

Old 03-05-2009, 10:27 AM

copied from another forum.

Originally Posted by Rac3rX
How to cure Cel/Mil from removing cat with Non-Fouler

First off Id like to say I got the steps for this process from justanotheradikt He was great in helping make sure I did everything right and made no mistakes along the way (Good thing he was there because I was lost)

This will cure the Cel caused by removing the Catalytic converter, usually when you install headers.

Total time required: 15-20 min.

Tools and Parts required

Tools:
Adjustable wrench & vise grips or another adjustable wrench (you need 2)
Drill with 1/2 inch drill bit
Clamp if availible, (Vice Grips and a foot will work too, if you have no clamp)

Parts required
2 Spark Plug Non-fouler adapters 18mm w/gasket (Napa Part 7302442)
2 come in a pack.

Here is a Pic of them in the package.

Step #1
Disconect the negative terminal on the battery, then Take ONE & only one of your 2 non-foulers and Drill out the Top end with the 1/2 inch drill bit untill it goes all the way through.

You can eithor clamp the peice down to be drilled by hand, or do what I did & clamp some vice grips onto it, hold it down with your foot & drill away. You can also use a Drill press if you have access to one, but its easy to do it with a hand held drill.

Once done it should compare to the un-drilled peice like so...

Step #2
Attach it to the un-drilled peice making sure the Un-drilled peice screws On Top of the drilled peice & making sure there is a gasket on.

It should look like so...

Step #3
Unclip the o2 sensor clip & Disconect the o2 sensor (2nd o2 sensor for removal of Cat 1 with headers install) from the car using the adjustable wrench.

IMPORTAND to unclip the o2 sensor first so that you can spin the wires while you unscrew it to insure you dont over twist the wires.

Step #4
Screw the o2 sensor into the non-foulers making sure you have a gasket on using eithor 2 adjustable wrenches or 1 adj wrench and vice grips. It should look like so...

Step #5
Reconect the o2 sensor to the car and plug it back in. It should look like so...

Step #6
Reconect the negative battery cable, while we did the install the ECU was reset from us disconecting the negative battery terminal in Step #1.

YOUR DONE!!!!

The ECU should take arround 300klm to adjust.

AGAIN!!!! SPECIAL THANKS to justanotheradikt for providing me with the knowledge to do the work & write up.

Old 03-05-2009, 10:33 AM

if you resist it, yes, you use electrical resistors. i am not sure how many or to what degree you resist since i bought my new o2 sensor from another forum member already resisted. i know that the non-fouler is usually preferred since the chance of failure is pretty much zero. i don't think that a tuner would do anything for the CEL. you could try, but i really think that you will still have to do one of these. as for moving the o2 sensor, it seems like a lot of work.

Old 04-22-2009, 01:50 PM

this was helpful, im bout to start modding my protege
i think spark plugs intake and exhaust, im thinking cold air intake

Old 05-18-2009, 08:40 PM

i have a protege mp3. im looking to hook it up a little bit. any suggestions? i deff wanna put a turbo on it but ot sure what kind yet. i need all the piping and stuff. i saw a t3/t4 turbo online, any good or go for a better one? idk. but anything else that would help get the horses up?

Old 10-09-2009, 09:27 PM

signature links removed. sorry, but no unauthorized advertising on this site. just a verbal warning this time and a ban next time.

Quick Reply: READY TO MODIFY MY PROTEGE, WHERE TO START