Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

question about catalytic converter

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 04:02 AM
Default question about catalytic converter

hi guys im new here can anybody tell me the part number for mazda protege 2002 es 2.0L catalytic converter?

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/de...e&apwidbJMdBp6 will this work?

is it easy to replace? im totally noob with cars thanks in advance guys pls help me

Old 02-26-2011, 05:28 AM
Super Moderator

I completed the information on the page you provided and did another search. Their system came up w/27 possibilities. However those listings are somewhat confusing. Some indicate auto trans only while others do not indicate a trans type at all? They are not standardized.
The one you had appears to be a pre-cat, the one that attaches directly to the exhaust manifold.
There is another or secondary cat in the system beneath the car.

Why do you feel you need a new cat?
Is your car and auto or std trans?
Are you aware that by law the OE cat has to be warranted by the manufacturer for 80,000 miles, so if your car has less, you may be able to get it replaced for free
Are you a California resident?
Are you aware that if needing a new cat, you should also change the O2 sensors? One can seriously affect the other and if you already have a faulty O2 that it could be the cause of early cat failure.

I might also warn you (from my experience here) that APW (Auto Parts Warehouse) has been known for some shady business practices.
I personally have had to kick their reps off this site as SPAMMERS. I had to call them personally to let them know that I would not tolerate that kind of activity here before they quit re-registering and including SPAM in their posts.
Just something I think you ought to know before doing business with them.

Last edited by virgin1; 02-26-2011 at 06:03 AM.
Old 02-27-2011, 02:35 AM

thanks for the reply.

my car is 2002 mazda protege es auto trans with 120k mileage and im not from california

im having these codes on my car :
1) P0421 - Warm up catalyst below threshold(bank 1)
2) P0300 - random/multiple cylinder misfire detected.

i talked to a mechanic and he said i need to replace the cat. my first problem was when i start the car it seems the rpm is very low and the whole car was shaking. then i got the po300 code and sometimes the CEL was blinking. pls help me i asked local car repair and they're asking lots of money which i don't have at the moment

Old 02-27-2011, 08:02 AM
Super Moderator

Codes need to be interpreted. They are not the be all and end all by themselves. You may get a code that points to one thing that is actually caused by another, upstream of the sensor that is seeing the parameter.
It usually requires a GOOD technician w/experience to determine what the real problems are.
For example, one of the codes you have states that the pre-cat is not up to temperature. The other states misfires. Unburned fuel is cooler than burned gasses and therefore will not allow the pre-cat to come up to temperature. It's cooling down the exhaust charge and that's what the O2 sensor is seeing. See what I mean?

Before spending a ton 'o' $$$ on pre-cats and secondary cats, find out why you are getting a mis-fire code first.

Since you are complaining about a low, rough idle, I might first look at the MAF or MAP sensor. That might also be causing your mis-fire code. If I unplug the MAF on my car, I too get a low, rough idle. See what I mean?

Last edited by virgin1; 02-27-2011 at 08:05 AM.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:59 PM

I have a 02 Protege with random misfire and lean mix code first, then the p0421 eventually came on . Intake boot was ripped wide open. I replaced it and car ran better and fuel trims at idle went from 30% to nothing. A day later p0300 came back. Freeze frame showed it happened at 58 mph, 186 deg, the LFT was at 2% but SFT spiked to 13%. Im thinking if I disconnect the battery and clear KAM, I might not see the code come back. The PCM might be flooding the engine because it still thinks unmetered air is coming in. I sprayed down the intake and SFT didnt budge, there is no EGR code. I don't want to replace the coils just because i think they are wearing out, they are way too expensive. The crank shaft position sensor is something Im thinking about too because it was caked in oil and dirt when I replaced the timing belt

Old 03-02-2011, 08:30 PM

update. cleared KAM, and drove 30 something miles. car has good acceleration for 174k miles, no stumbles, and readiness test past except for the cat. p0421 warm up cat is dead or dying. coils and plugs need to be replaced sooner or later too based on that there was freeze frame of that one random misfire code from before clearing.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:37 AM

I also have the P0421 code, catatlist threshold...

I came across this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5icTmYItwiE

My car runs perfect and gas mileage is where it should be. Engine light was coming on for a few days then going off. Now it stays on.

Question is, if lacquer thinner in the gas works then I should be able to take off the small pipe from under the upper catalitic converter and spray carb cleaner up into it to clean it. Anyone try this?

Old 03-04-2011, 08:40 PM

I don't know about that, let me know how that does. Im going to replace the pre-cat

Old 03-04-2011, 08:45 PM

That was a neat link. I might clean my old cat and sell it as refurbished. Guaranteed for 150 miles!

Old 03-04-2011, 08:46 PM

Oh and by the way P0421 is the code for the first cat near the manifold