Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

protege won't start

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 03:13 PM
Default protege won't start

my 96 protege won't start. i checked for fault codes with my car in the on position but nothing came up. also does the information in these pics have anything to do with my problem or could help me figure out where it is??

Old 06-25-2013, 09:03 AM

Sorry daquane25: This information does not help at all. You are approaching it the digital way, I would approach it the old-fashioned analog way.

To get the engine started you need:
1. A working battery and starter.
2. Compression
3. Air
4. Fuel
5. Spark

And 2-5 have to be properly timed.

Some ideas in no particular order, do the easy stuff first:
*See if the camshaft(s) turn when you start the engine. Take the oil filler cap off and look at the camshaft, have a friend turn the engine over. If the cam does not turn you don't have compression and you need a new timing belt. If the camshafts turn you need to check if the timing marks line up.
*Do a compression test.
*Clean and adjust the crankshaft position sensor.
*Check for spark, each plug. You can take the spark plugs out and hold it against ground and see if you get a nice blue spark while your friend cranks it over.
*Try starting it using starter fluid spray. If it starts you have a fuel problem. Do not try this more than 3x because the solvents will affect the oil film and increase wear.
*Is your fuel pump working now? Take the hose off the fuel pressure regulator, Put a big rag there and have a friend turn the ignition on. If you don't get fuel you have a problem with the pump.

While you are doing any of this: Do not overheat the starter! no more than 3 tries in a row and with 3 minute cool down breaks between cranking. Recharge the battery often.
Report your observations.

Last edited by tanprotege; 06-25-2013 at 09:09 AM.