Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

Please help me.....misfiring protege 5

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 10:50 AM
Default Please help me.....misfiring protege 5

After alot of reading on here and searching through old threads I still have a few questions regarding the misfire in my 02 protege 5. In the past six months I have replaced the fuel pump, tank n fuel lines. Replaced the whole exhaust including cat converter, battery cable wires, spark plugs, wires and coils. I am still getting the check engine light on and the random misfire code.

After driving the car for about 20 minutes or so it starts sputtering and it doesnt want to go unless i gas it good ( manual tranny) i pull over for about 15 mins with the car off to sit and I can drive about another 15 mins before it starts sputtering again. I had to do this to get the car home. My last episode the check engine light statrted flashing before I shut the car off.

Anyone have any ideas what else to check and/or change to help this issue??? I am a very basic girl so instructions in dummy would be greatly appreciated 😆

Old 08-16-2014, 12:09 PM
Banned

Mileage?
Bad fuel injector or leaking injector seals?
ever put in fuel system cleaner?

Missfires Can Be Caused By a Million and One Things,

Vac Leaks
Wiring Issues
Spark Plugs(Even Fresh Spark Plugs That Are Crappy Quality.... E3 And Such)
Ignition Coils
Alternators (Search EMI)
MAFS
Injectors
Injector O-Rings
Intake Gaskets
TB Gaskets
PCV Hoses
PCV’s
Malfunctioning EGR
Malfunctioning CAS
O2 Sensors
Aftermarket Intakes
Intake Hoses
Vac Lines
Timing Chains
Timing Chain Tensioner
Broken Cam Gears
Malfunctioning Cam Sensors
Incorrect Crank Gears(The I4 Has Like 40 Different Configurations For Whatever Reason)
Incorrect PCM Flash
Issues Within The PCM
PCM Wiring
Bad Diaphram Within The FPR
Issues Within The Fuel Pump
Dirty Fuel Filter
Dirty Fuel Lines
Pre-Cats/Poor Exhaust Flow

If the above gaskets/seals have not been changed, change them. Clean your MAF sensor, throttle body.
Change your PCV valve and probably that short hose as well.
Inspect the intake accordian tube for cracks. Inspect for vaccuum leaks.
Put in a good Fuel system cleaner: Red Line Synthetic Oil - Gasoline Fuel Additives - SI-1 Complete Fuel System Cleaner
Inspect wires. Re-set ECU after doing above.

Old 08-16-2014, 12:24 PM

Mileage is about 175,000. Never tried a fuel injector cleaner. My dad looked around everywhere and didnt see any signs of leaks from anywhere. The spark plugs didnt have a kind of moisture or oil on them.

Old 08-16-2014, 01:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by gertie508
Mileage is about 175,000. Never tried a fuel injector cleaner. My dad looked around everywhere and didnt see any signs of leaks from anywhere. The spark plugs didnt have a kind of moisture or oil on them.
Moisture on them is not a good thing. Could be leaking fuel injector seals. Could also be blow by----oil being introduced in to combustion chamber.
A compression test may be in order.

Definitely change PCV and put fuel system cleaner in first.

Old 08-16-2014, 01:56 PM

Thanks I'll have him pick uo some fuel injection cleaner n try that. Thanks for your advice.

Old 08-16-2014, 03:21 PM

It could be the egr valve defective or needs cleaning protege's are well known for this issue. Before you got that route there is a very less inexpensive problem with the proteges and its the intake hose check that out and check for rips/ cracks in that hose and replace it with a new one, the intakes hose sounds more like your problem that you're having.

Old 08-16-2014, 05:24 PM

After such an episode it would be a good idea to scan for the trouble codes and post them here. Right now we don't know if the engine is getting too much fuel or too little.

Another thing could help diagnose this as well: right after the trouble light comes on get the car home, turn it off and wait for it to cool down. then take the spark plugs out and compare the way they look with the NGK spark plug diagnostic chart.

Old 08-16-2014, 06:47 PM

Thanks for the chart. I will have my father check them and the intake hoses. He will be here tomorrow to look. Thanks again!

Old 08-16-2014, 06:58 PM
Banned

Nice pics of spark Plugs Tan!
Like the vaccuum leak scenario.

Old 08-17-2014, 08:33 PM

Ok heres the update:
Dad came over today n we checked the intake hose and no cracks or leaks that we saw. He did double check all the plugs and wires and found that cylinder 3 wire was loose so he pushed that in more securely. He did notice I was out of engine coolant so he filled that and changed the connectors to the battery, they were very corroded. He added the fuel injector cleaner and we took the car for a 20 minute ride and so far the engine light has stayed off and no sputtering. so keeping my fingers crossed the car stays running!

Thank you for all your help and the advice, I appreciated it!!!

Quick Reply: Please help me.....misfiring protege 5