Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

P0300 Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire - HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 10:09 PM
Default P0300 Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire - HELP!

So i'm sure some of you have had this problem. Basically, every once in a while, my engine will misfire, resulting in very VERY little acceleration and a flashing CEL (which i'm told happens when the misfire damages the cat). This happens mainly when the engine isnt warm, or hasn't been driven too much.

I've replaced spark plug boots, EGR valve, and installed Denso Double Platinum Extra long life with ground strap spark plugs. I've been to two mechanics. One mechanic fixed it the first time when the misfire was so critical that the car couldnt be driven. After a few months it started to happen again about once or twice weekly. All I have to do is put the car in neutral and let it sit for a couple minutes and it corrects the problem. I payed the second mechanic (supposedly ASE certified) $90 to do a full diagnostic. After approximately 30 minutes I was told the spark plugs needed to be changed to ones that were better suited for imports (NGK or Denso). I did this and it still didnt fix the problem.

There are a numerous amount of things that can still be replaced including coils, fuel pump/filter, catalytic converter, etc, but I dont have the money to guess and buy parts that might not correct the problem. I've also cleaned out the throttle body.

If anyone has had similiar problems and could offer some advice i'm all ears... or eyes in this case. PLEASE HELP!!

Thanks.

Last edited by SchecterGuy; 05-26-2010 at 10:11 PM.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:03 PM

You need to find out what cylinder is misfiring. When it misfires start to unplug and plug the injectors one at a time to see witch cylinder doesn't change when you unpluged the injector. If the misfire stayed the same on Cyl. #4 and didn't get worse then pull on the coil and switch it with the other coil Start it again and unplug the injectors again the cyl. should change that had the misfire then you know you need a coil. To check injectors put a screw driver to the injector and put your ear to it. It should be making a clicking noise if not the injector is bad if all click they still could be clogged.

Old 05-30-2010, 04:26 AM

Well, from what I'm told, the misfire skips from cylinder to cylinder. I believe its technically called an intermittent misfire? But I have gotten a lot of suggestions from people to replace the coils.

Thanks for the info