Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

od light

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 05:43 PM
Default od light

hey man my 99 protege goes up to 20km/hr and doesnt want to switch into 2nd, btw its an auto tranny. so i hold it at 2500 rpm until it changes gears and than i feel it go into limp mode and 10 minutes later i see the od light flashing. Mechanics had my car for 2 weeks and didnt find anything wrong with it . im losing hair fml

Old 11-07-2012, 07:03 PM
Banned

Have you ever changed the Tranny Fluid?
Mileage?
Auto tranny fluid should be changed every 50,000 miles. Do not be fooled by lifetime oils!
Heat kills all oils. If you answered no to the above questions, expect to get a new or rebuilt tranny.

Old 11-08-2012, 12:46 PM

well, when i brought it to the shop, they changed the fluids checked the sensors , they couldnt find nothing , so he decided to put a used tranny, my mechanic that i regulary go to told me it cant be. Even when i was checking the fluid it wasnt dark or smelled like it was burned. honestly i know protege are reliable but i guess im just unlucky.

Old 11-08-2012, 04:07 PM

so yeah basically I didnt want him to put the used tranny because i knew for a fact mine is in good shape, other than the cel thats blinking. I honestly don't know what else i can do can anyone here help me. I got off the highway and i was about to pass the lights as they turned amber so i floured it which made the rpms go really high, the most i ever go is like 4000 but not like constantly i drive gentle. so yeah i floured it and passed the lights but right after i hit the gas and it felt like it was slipping the rpms were moving but the car wasnt. So now everytime i start the car the od light isnt there until i drive for like 20 minutes , but as soon as i hit 20 km/h it starts to slip or like it feels like it cant get into 2nd, so i hold it and it changes after that u can feel that it is in limp mode( press on gas, speedometer only starts moving after couple seconds on my foot on the gas. this happend to me in the summer and ive been using this protege everyday i need to fix this od issue if i want this car to last my school year

Old 11-08-2012, 04:43 PM

mr.dblaco: you may have blown the torque converter.

Old 11-09-2012, 10:54 AM

so would i need a tranny rebuild or is there any other options, i got this car for 700 off my g/fs mom. i put maybe like $1000 on top of that with simple repairs. and some stuff for my safety, i got a quote on a used tranny for 400-500$, but honestly i cant keep forking out cash for this car that has non stop problems. I must say its reliable though ive had it since last may.

Old 11-09-2012, 02:07 PM

I understand your disappointment with this transmission failure. It is probably the weakest spot on these cars. Usually it is best to replace the transmission. It is very labor intensive to do.

You confuse me a little bit: on one hand you say the car has been very reliable and on on the other hand you worry about "non-stop problems."

I wonder how many miles are on this car and if the oil changes have been done as needed. I also wonder if the transmission had been serviced regularly. If there are no more than 150K on the engine and it had been serviced regularly (oil changes every 3-5000 miles, depending on a few factors) it may be o.k. to put in another grand or so. But brakes, tires, sway bar links, battery, A/C issues and CEL can come up anytime at this age.
Consider your alternatives. Get another car and go through a similar experience again?

Old 11-09-2012, 05:26 PM

Well hey I had it for 6 months already, i only paid 700. It has been reliable until this od light. I get an oil change every 5000 kms and plus the mechanic who had it for two weeks said the tranny fluid was light, the car was maintained properly plus he changed the fluid to see if it will solve the issue.

everything else is working well, the a/c works good knock on wood, the engine looks fairly clean compared to other cars ive seen around the same year. I didn't even get a chance to abuse it yet now in limp mode. I cant even take the highway to my college in toronto, ontario. I have a new cat converter, new intake manifold, etc. I put too much into it to just sell it for part and get a civic. my friends civic is a 2000 has 300 k and is still running better than mine and doesnt vibrate the whole car during idle. like i got new motor mounts and its still shaking. i did get a lot of experience and learned a lot from owning this vehicle. and yeah im in canada so its a little above 180 km so id lsay maybe 85 000 miles

Last edited by mr.dblanco; 11-09-2012 at 05:33 PM.
Old 11-11-2012, 01:26 PM

if you are about saving money, a used transmission is the way to go.

If you are fed up, get another car or see if use Your noggin can give you a ride!

Old 11-11-2012, 01:31 PM
Banned
Talking

Originally Posted by tanprotege
If you are fed up, get another car or see if use Your noggin can give you a ride!
LOL!
A Fellow Ontarian!

Attached Thumbnails od light-bitcheslikeride.jpg   od light-drunkpotholes2.jpg   od light-images.jpg   od light-headinlocker.jpg   od light-takeoutwindow.jpg  

Quick Reply: od light