Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

Noisy engine

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 06:01 PM
Default Noisy engine

Hi I am brand new to this forum and happy to know thatI have found such a great resource.

I have two problems with my car.

First, when i turn the car on and begin to accelerate, a hear a loud screeching sound coming from under the hood. I assume that this is one of the belts that needs changing. Is this an expensive repair?

Second, I have a leak in my trunk under the spare tire. Has anyone had a similar problem and would be able to propose a solution?

Thanks for your help

Old 01-24-2007, 06:04 AM
Default RE: Noisy engine

Noise from under hood sounds to be from drive belts. Labor to replace is generally 1/2 hour and will be based on the labor rate for the shop that you choose to have the work done. Ranges from $50 per hour up to $200 so check what the rate is. Cost of the belts is also dependent upon which belts you chose and the model year and engine size (ie 1.5l, 1.6l, 2.0l).
Leak into the trunk area that is accumulating into the spare tire area is not uncommon. The question is from where? The spare tire area is the low point in the trunk so all moisture willl gather there. Do you notice any dampness on the right or left sides below where the taillights are mounted. Leaks from there are not to uncommon. What is the condition of the trunk weatherseal? Water leaks can be a bit of bugger to locate as water can move in strange ways.

Old 01-28-2007, 01:51 PM
Default RE: Noisy engine

Hello,
First, on the belts which seem to be your problem. When you have the belts replaced ask your mechanic to clean all of the pulleys. The squeaking can come from old rubber in the grooves of the pulleys. Very cheap insurance instead of having to do the job again.
Onto your water problem. We experience them frequently at our shop. Instead of guessing a sthe previous poster said "water is a bugger since it can move...".. Take everything out of your trunk. Place cardboard down flat in all areas of your trunk. Close the trunk, take out your garden hose and spray for a minute or so all around your trunk and rear lights. You will see the water on the cardboard as to where it is coming in. From there you can decide whether you want to replace weatherstripping, rubber, etc. or just drill a small hole in your trunk (be careful where) so that the water can drain avoiding mold and rust. Take care and good luck!