Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

No power steering. Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2015, 09:13 AM
Default No power steering. Please help!

I recently bought a 2000 mazda protege. It is the 1.8l dohc. Has been running well but there was no power steering. I noticed the tank was empty, so I filled it up. This did not resolve the problem. However after driving for 10 or so minutes and then checking the tank, it had gone down almost a quarter. So if it is leaking it is only when I drive. I'm not incredibly mechanical, but I'd like to learn. How should I go about either finding the leak, or checking if the pump is bad. Also, I start a new job on monday that is about an hour away. How dangerous is it to commute with until I fix it. Knowing I already drove it an hour home when I bought it.
Any help greatly appreciated!

Old 11-08-2015, 10:09 AM

Put the car in jack stands and look for evidence of leaking steering fluid. It is easier to see the source of leaks if the engine and suspension have been washed.

Also: just filling up the reservoir does not suffice. You need to move the steering wheel slowly from lock to lock while the engine idles. Do it many times and keep adding fluid. Moving from lock to lock helps the trapped air to get out. Do this with the front wheels on a very smooth surface. Heavy plastic bags or some sheet metal under the wheels will help. It is easier on the steering and tires that way.

How is the drive belt?

Was it really hard to steer? Eat your spinach, Popeye!

Last edited by tanprotege; 11-08-2015 at 10:15 AM.