Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

New Mazda Owner

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 02:48 AM
Default New Mazda Owner

Well well..here i am, with my broken arm and all. i was in a car accident a few months ago. I had a Dodge Neon..yeah now that you are all done laughing...I bought a 2001 protege 2.0 es..Im looking to get my fingers dirty. I have already put on a cold air intake...what I want now is a short shift kit, a larger throttle body a header and exhaust....so its up to you guys to tell me what you know and the best place to get it. When I get my cast off i will help you out as much as I can... i am a lisenced mechanic..well was anyway...who can help??

Old 04-03-2007, 03:07 AM
Default RE: New Mazda Owner

first, welcome to the familia. second, i can point you to a couple of places that you can find parts. for a short shift, i recommend EBay of all places. they have vendors that get brand name stuff like that for cheap and sell it for cheap. it's all brand name, the difference is that they don't have any overhead and that kind of stuff is all so common that they know they will always keep it sold. hard to find parts are usually available at www.horsepowerfreaks.com they have all kinds of stuff that i couldn't find anywhere else. another place to look is www.corksport.com i think they are inthe process of building a protege that is the same year and engine size as yours, so they are well equipped. you will find that being in the mazda family, parts are a little harder to come by but it is all worth it because your car is different from all of the Hondas and Neons on the road. i also do all of my own work so iwe might be able to help each other out though my car is a 2002 protege 5, they aren't that different.

Old 04-03-2007, 03:26 PM

Thanks!

I saw those websites from other people askin about parts. i started to browse. When I first had my neon it was before it was kool and parts were hard to come by then too. but a few minor tweaks here and there..i llok forward to getting Raven...yes thats his name, up to speed. have you hear if the cam gears are worth it

Old 04-03-2007, 09:51 PM

the cam gears are worth it if you get the high lift cams to match. your car is non-turbo, so i would recommend the j-spec cams. they are built to the japanese standards and should be all that you need to tune a naturally aspirated motor. i will recommend a few parts to get started: motor mounts, throttle body spacer, grounding kit with voltage stabilizer, and a good port and polish on the intake while you're in there. those, along with what you're already planning, should be a good overall build to start out and should keep you under the wrench for a while. i have done this work to either my car or one of my friend's cars, so don't hesitate to ask if you need help.

Old 04-03-2007, 11:45 PM

if you are unable to find parts I would search for the same type of car in jap sites.
they usually have differnt names for their cars but doing a google search for those sites might yield more parts

www.corksport.com
www.nopi.com
www.summitracing.com

as far as parts on ebay
some of them may say its a brand name part but may actually not be.
very hard to tell what parts are fake.
but engine parts and parts that are under alot of stress I will always by from companies that I know sell
good parts
not ebay.
the short shifter might be a good idea to get from ebay, same with intake.
anything else for performance I would look at the companies I suggested

Old 04-04-2007, 12:22 AM

Again,
Much appriciatrd..i have to confess I have not heard of a throttle body spacer on an EFI ar..or for me a four banger...thought those were for old carb cars...whats the benifit for our hungry mazdas??

Old 04-04-2007, 01:57 AM

they aren't that common, and most people that have them just have to make their own. they benefit in the same way that the shape of the intake ports do. i don't know all of the mechanics of it. what dragon was saying about the japanese versions; in all other countries, the protege is known as a Familia. so if you see that on one of the sites, it is either the euro-spec or j-spec version of the car. as far as i know, the j- and euro-specs are built the same with the exception of the bumper height and the fact that the euro has fog lights built into the taillights. that is all i think is different about the two, though i may be wrong. all we normally see here is j-spec parts anyways, so you probably won't run into that anyways.

Old 04-04-2007, 04:59 AM

there arent alot of differnce in the cars
some styling
but as for parts.
I have noticed that japan, euro and new zealand have parts or kits that are not avalable or advertised for the states
example.
the toyota starlet. mean little car, I personally would not race one of these. the ammount of power they can pack. dang
http://www.bodykit.co.nz/mig/albums/...ch-flares4.jpg
look like a honda ehh?
thats a EP-91 lol sick little cars.
can you buy them in the US yes, but finding parts. look toward japan, euro or new zealand
Edit to add you can find parts for this car in the states. but way more outside of the states

and also I have a dodge neon, a 97 for the wifey. cheaper to pimp it out then it is for my mazda