Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

New guy parts wanted for 2003 Protege speed

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 12:39 PM
Default New guy parts wanted for 2003 Protege speed

I just bought a 2003 Mazdaspeed Protege and the stock turbo is bad. I am looking for a OEM Mazda T25 stock turbo to replace it with. Not a race car, just my daily driver.

Old 12-21-2009, 05:12 PM

i always recommend this for a slight upgrade. it is a direct fit and can help out on reliability as well. you can make much better gains with this turbo with after market work.
http://www.bnrturbos.com/ProtegeMiata.htm

a direct replacement will probably cost about the same if you can find one. i can't seem to find one used, so that will probably be your best bet.

what exactly is wrong with the turbo?

Old 12-22-2009, 09:06 AM

I know very little about turbos as this is my first and I have had the car a week. The turbo is leaking oil and the inter-coller hose has blow by in it and dripping oil. Thanks for the help, I am working with the guy I bought it from and he actually is sending me a turbo hopefully so I can just change it out. Delaership wanted $2500 to fix, I just laughed at them.

Old 12-22-2009, 03:24 PM

the dealership tends to think that turbos are made of gold, for some reason. sounds like some bad turbo seals to me. the turbo itself should be fine and rebuild-able. i don't know where to find a rebuild kit for a garrett turbo. all of the vendors that i talk to try to tell me that they can't sell the kit for a garrett. i think that they are lying to me, but i don't know what else to say to that. there are some places that you can send the turbo to have it rebuilt. just look it up on this site.
http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbob...r_locator.html

Old 01-13-2010, 06:37 PM
Default have turbo now need exhaust manifold

mine was cracked like the rest of them

Old 01-14-2010, 03:45 AM

yeah just remember that if you do go to a bigger turbo than stock you have to make up for it in fuel, which means bigger injectors, with a t25 im not sure how big the intercooler is on the stock protege but you might need to go to a bigger intercooler. my genesis i am going to go to a t25 on my car thats my goal this summer i need to change my injectors im just throwing in 1000cc just so its out of the way you don't have to go that big but that way i know im not shorted out, i have to change the intercooler to a bigger one, bigger exhaust to a 3", aftermarket bov cause the stock one can only handle 17psi and thats what im running right now, and maybe an oil catch can, and aftermarket wastegate, and depending on the power gains cause that car is at 200 whp right now if i hit 300whp after the dynomax chip is running it will need a bigger fuel pump lol so that kinda gives you an idea of what you need to level out when going bigger turbo like it won't be the same as my genesis cause when they built that car they restricted everything so badly, but just keep that in mind.