Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

New guy with P5.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 02:07 PM
Default New guy with P5.

Hello everyone, my name is Kyle. New to the Forum. I own a 02 Mazda Protege 5. 2.0 DOHC. Current mods r intake and exhaust, just a muffler I got off a friend. I have customized my shifter and boot black leather **** and boot with red stitching. The car is yellow, but by next year tax time I hope to have it painted sports red metallic along with all the silver on the interior. Black leather interior. I have removed the bars on the luggage rack. I wanted to get some advice on exhaust. I am going to b getting a cat back in a month or 2, I am thinking about Megan Racing. I have found the place with the most parts is horsepowerfreaks.com I think. I couldn't find any sound clips of the HKS cat back on a P5. Does anyone have the Megan Racing? Any better suggestions?

Old 09-21-2008, 06:04 PM
Default RE: New guy with P5.

i have heard the megan and i like it, but i have never owned one. my last p5 had an hks and it sounded really nice. it was throaty, but it droned way too much on the highway. check out crossoverauto.com and look at the vibrant exhaust also. the vibrant is well built, sounds really good, and is pretty cheap. the first time that i heard a vibrant, i absolutely loved it.

Old 09-21-2008, 06:05 PM

and welcome to the site also. good choice of cars.

Old 09-21-2008, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator

I of course have the Vibrant on my 3 HB and I absolutely love it.
Here is a review and asound clip of my 3 w/the Vib if it helps you?
https://www.mazdaforum.com/m_53114/tm.htm

Old 09-21-2008, 09:10 PM

Thnks guys. I had planned on getting the HKS at first but couldn't get a sound clip of the catback. wsoape if u have any sound clips anywhere of ur last P5 with the HKS post them plz I would really like to hear them. I heard the megan with a stock manifold and it sounded great, had the throaty sound and good pitch at high revs. I don't mind drone at highway speeds. Don't think I want to go with Vibrant. Thnks again guys for info and welcome.

Old 09-21-2008, 09:37 PM

i don't have a sound clip of it, but i may be able to find one. look on youtube and see if there is a video on there. the main thing that i didn't like about it is that it just had a big coke can on the back. i liked it at first, but i really started to like the more form-fit exhausts the more that i looked at them. i really like the way that the racingbeat exhaust fits, but it is pretty expensive. if you really want a nice sound, quality build, and don't really care about price, do the racingbeat. that is what is on my rx7 and it is awesome. definitely the best one that i have seen on the rx7's (i may be biased on that one even though i am not trying to be). the form, fit, construction, and finish is perfect, but they definitely bill you for it. i think that the best deal as far as price, function, and fit is a vibrant, but to each his own. most of them sound about the same, it is how long they will last and the gains that you will get that make the difference. you could also check out the thermal research exhaust on corksport.com. i hear good things about that and the price is in the ball park.

Old 09-24-2008, 02:41 PM

I took the P5 for a top speed a few nights ago. 2am and no one on the interstate. Hit 125. Of coarse it registers 140. Pretty good. Mabye if I dropped the spare tire out and a few boxes in the back 130 would b in site!LOL.