Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

need tips for replacing clutch myself

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 01:06 PM
Default need tips for replacing clutch myself

Hi, I'm considering replacing the clutch of my 1999 1.6L 5-speed Protege. I have looked it over and it seems like I do NOT have to remove the motor, but I do have to remove the transmission. I'm wondering if this is something I can do myself or do I need special tools and lifts and such? Any tips on the best way to go about this is appreciated, even if the tip is 'forget it, too much work.'

Old 08-06-2006, 10:54 PM
Default RE: need tips for replacing clutch myself

I would not attempt it if you are unsure of your mechanical abilities. You will need a good set of metric tools, pry bars, jack and jackstands, along with general type tools. It is best to also have a transmission jack when removing along with an engine support bar to hold up the engine while the trans is out. Be prepared to spill fluid too when removing the trans after the axle shafts are removed. It can be done if you are familiar with the procedure. The worst position to be in is where you have everything torn apart and then have to take it to a shop in pieces.

Old 08-07-2006, 06:41 PM
Default RE: need tips for replacing clutch myself

Well I had to replace my clutch, Mine went totally out on me. Cost me about 500-600 bucks to get it done, but they mechanic was nice and put in a prefomace clutch instead of stock. I could have probly done this my self but one I didn't have all the tools I needed and two it would have taken me 3 days vs taking them one one and half. plus mine is under warenty.

I mean the clutch kit is going to set you back about 200-300 bucks any way so I would personal just spend the little extra to take it in and get it done by someone who does this stuff all the time. Just make sure he is ASE, unless you know a really good friend that does this kind of stuff all the time.

You can do this your self, I am not saying you can't I probly could do it too, I just didn't want to take the chance considering this is my only means of transportaion.