Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

Need help with 1999 protege 1.6L timing

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 02:14 PM
Default Need help with 1999 protege 1.6L timing

I had to replace water pump, so pulled off the timing belt in preperation for this. Problem is... I didn't know I was supposed to align all camshaft and crankshaft timing marks prior to taking belt off. While removing the Alternator pulley from the crankshaft, the crankshaft turned a bit while removing the pulley bolts (the camshaft pulleys never turned as far as I could tell). After I replaced water pump, I put the belt on and turned the crankshaft until the camshaft pulleys were in timing alignment, then took belt off, rotated crankshaft until it's marker was in straight up timing alignment, then put belt back on. At this point, all timing marks were in alignment. Next, to check to see if I got everything right, I turned the crank a few times until crank marker was pointing straight up again and checked camshaft alignment marks, everything looked good. I put everything back together, but now the car won't idle, I think it's out of time. No CEL light came on.
How did I screw up the timing? I must have missed a step, maybe I didn't rotate the crankshaft or the camshafts enough turns?? How do I get all pulleys lined up correctly and in sync so I can put the belt back on correctly? Hopefully I don't have to reset the camshaft pulleys.
Thanx for any help!!
Kurt

Old 01-10-2011, 02:11 PM

Still need to get this figured out. Any help at all would be appreciated. Thanx again.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:44 AM
Thumbs down

This forum is lame. I started this thread a week ago and only got 1 response from a spammer.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:28 PM

Did u get it figured out? If not, I think I can help you as I have done this repair before. Will check for a reply later....

Jim