Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

My Mazda died on the highway

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 04:02 PM
Default My Mazda died on the highway

The other day, I was driving on the highway when my Mazda died. I was driving about 60 MPH. First I noticed an unusual downshift from the transmission. (Note: I don't think its related, since I drive in hilly upstate NY, meaning the transmission has to respond to hills often. You'll see that most likely this is an electrical problem, but thought this should at least be noted.) A few hundred feet later, the car literally shut off. It didn't stall or sputter or hesitate or backfire, at least not that was noticeable. But everything electrical ceased to function. I first thought it was a stall, so I shifted to nuetral, turned the key, and nothing happened. At that time I noticed the all my dashboard dials and lights were not working. So I coasted to a stop. I noticed no power steering nor any power assisted braking. Electrically dead. Once stopped, I turned on the hazards, dead. Hazards also did not work. I turned the key a few times, absolutely nothing. But then with one last turn of the key, it started right up. I pulled off the highway and let the car run for about 15 minutes, turning on every electrical accessory I could think of, no problems whatsoever. I drove on back roads for about an hour and a half to my home with no further problems. The car is going to the shop Monday. Any ideas about the problem? Anything I should ask the shop specifically to check? Thank you in advance of any helpful comments you might have. 2003 Mazda Protoge (sedan)

Last edited by sonicmdc; 07-16-2010 at 04:07 PM.