Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

motor tap noise change

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 06:43 PM
Exclamation motor tap noise change

So my motor randomly got a tap that changes with my rpms which the shop says is the connecting rod bearing. It started when I was driving and was really loud like you could hear it inside and I thot she was gonna die any second. It was a little quieter on the way to the garage and on the way home you really couldn't hear it unless your stopped with the window open or sometimes in low range rpms (still there just quiet). Anyone got any ideas what woulda caused it to get so quiet? And I know if something broke loose it could seize the motor but I've driven prolly 20 or more miles since it started with no problems would it be a bad idea to keep driving?

Old 01-11-2014, 08:48 PM

there are ways to deal with that. it all depends on how good are you as a mechanic. years ago (college student, not a lot of money for cars) i had a glc and one day it did what you described. i did a compression test and it was not bad. went under the car, removed the oil pan, and removed the connecting rods caps. pushed and pulled every con rod and they were solid, no play at all. then checked the bearings and one had a few changes in color and signs of wear. bought a bearing set and started replacing the bearings i could. things got quiet again. i did not replace them all, and it was a chore, but i did it. about 2 years later, my head gasket let go and i ended up overhauling that engine. believe it or not, i did it. the correct thing to do is to overhaul the engine or swap it. another thing to do is to check the oil pump (if you have an oil pressure gauge that is easy). and make sure you are using the correct engine oil viscosity.