Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Valve tap? Oh oh

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 07:05 AM
Default Valve tap? Oh oh

I've seemed to have developed some kind of cold start valve tapping noise issue. Anyone else had this with their 07 2.0's.

May have pushed it too hard in the last 1000 kms. She has 3800 kms on it now. I've seen the tach go into 6000 rpms, but it's an auto box, so the car put it there. Does not hang around that long in that high rpm range.

What do you think the dealer will say about that. They will say racing, I will say I am 35 years old, I don't race. I pass fast.

We'll see.

Old 08-28-2007, 07:35 AM
Default RE: Valve tap? Oh oh

Well. Checked it again this morning. Seems to go tick tick tick tick. Then once the oil is thru the system it kinda quiets down. Still noticable too the trained ear though.
Going to drop the car off tonight to have it listened too at cold start up. So I will have to leave it overnight. Want them to replace the r/s door speaker anyway. Kind of crackely. I have 3500 kms on it. Should get it looked at while it's still new. Should change out the factory oil too, but I will wait to see what they say about the ticking.

Old 08-28-2007, 09:12 AM

I rev the snot out of my car all the time...53,000 miles and no issues.

Old 08-28-2007, 09:22 AM

let the car idle when u start it up and shut it off for about 30 seconds. You'll notice that when u start it up the tach is at about 2k rpms but if u let it sit till it warms up a bit the rpms drop to about 750 and it starts running noticably smoother.

Old 08-28-2007, 09:27 AM

Yes, but did you rev it when it was brand new. I mean I never reved it too high during Mazda break in times. Never floored it on a standing start. Just floored it on the highway, until about 160 kms, then I would let off. Seems to down into 3rd gear and rev high. It' cool. But, maybe I should not have done that until after the first 5k oil change. All I know is that for the last week or so, it's developed this tick tick tick. Sounds like import injectors, but not really. And it would not explain it not doing so after oil is thru the system. I think it's loose valve or something. Sound seems to come from under the ls rocker box. (Assuming the l/s of eng when standing in front of car)

Old 08-28-2007, 09:31 AM

npol: Your right about letting it idle for a bit. It will smooth out. My complaint isn't the rough idle at first. It's the tick, tick, tick, tick, tick...............................until a min, when the oil is thru. Then it softens a bit. Trust me. I baby this bitch. And in my garage/house I noticed a new noise a week ago. I was hoping it would go away. But it did not. Tick tick tick tick/tap tap tap tap. I will keep you guys appraised when they call me tomorrow.

Old 08-29-2007, 12:25 AM

Ditto I've shifted the car well into the 7K range just a tad below rev limiter and I have 68K on my 04 2.0 auto box, no problems. I literally beat the **** out of my transmission and Haven't changed the fluid yet but its still a cherry color/pink. lol

I notice the same noise after i change the oil myself in the car. I get that untill the oil goes through the system but its only a one time thing for me after that I don't hear it again untill I change my oil

Old 08-29-2007, 06:47 AM

I wonder if the myth is true about the 5w20 and it not leaving enough film of oil on the internal parts overnight. Anyone using 5w30?
She's at the dealer now. Left it overnight so the service manager could hear the noise I am talking about.
Keep you guys up to date.

Old 08-29-2007, 07:49 AM

well good news is your still under warranty :/

Old 08-29-2007, 09:03 AM

I have a personal hate for "warranties". Just leaves room for excuses for the dealer. Can't find anything wrong with it. That's a wear and tear item. blah blah blah. If you are paying cash, they will fix anything you want, whether its broken or not. But, your right, with 3500 k on it. Anything should be covered.
10am and still have not heard anything.

Quick Reply: Valve tap? Oh oh