Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

LX 2.0 Tranny

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 08:18 AM
Default LX 2.0 Tranny

Hi, just joined up here, looks like an awsome site. For my first post, i have a question regarding a 2001 protege lx 2.0. My manual tranny is pouched. The car won't even roll when in neutral when engine is off. But yet when i start it it doesn't move in any gear. So i'm looking at a used tranny, but am usure if a 1.8L tranny is the same as the 2.0. Do any of you guys know? Any info would be grealfull!

Old 09-13-2010, 07:51 PM

yes, the trans from a 1.8 will fit just the same. those two motors are basically the same.

Old 09-14-2010, 06:38 AM

Ok thanks so much. Any tips on how to remove? Should i just take motor and trans together out through the top. I asume i need to remove lower ball joinst, tie rods ect. will this give me enough clearance to pop drive axles out of tranny. Any tips would be great. I have only done one other front wheel drive engine tranny swap and it was on a volks wagon and it had split axles which made it rather easy.

Old 09-14-2010, 06:02 PM

pull the axles and drop the trans out the bottom. i usually cut the spindles loose at the top or bottom to give a little more room. if you have done one transverse motor fwd, you have the idea.

Old 09-15-2010, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by wsoape281
pull the axles and drop the trans out the bottom. i usually cut the spindles loose at the top or bottom to give a little more room. if you have done one transverse motor fwd, you have the idea.

Hi wsoape, i really don't have the facilities to take it out the bottom. Anyway in order to pul the axles the spindles have to be cut loose (lower ball joints and possibly tie rods) Right?

Old 09-15-2010, 07:23 PM

yeah, drop the spindles from the ball joints and struts. pull the endlinks and tie rods off of them. then drop the axles. if you can pull the motor and trans out of the top, you should be able to drop the trans out the bottom. the only advantage to pulling the motor also would be to have access to the front of the motor for some maintenance. it would be easier to do the timing belt,water pump, crank seals, and cam seals with the motor out, but it would be overkill otherwise. if you are going to do that, throw in a set of mounts while you are at it and call it a full maintenance.

Old 09-16-2010, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by wsoape281
yeah, drop the spindles from the ball joints and struts. pull the endlinks and tie rods off of them. then drop the axles. if you can pull the motor and trans out of the top, you should be able to drop the trans out the bottom. the only advantage to pulling the motor also would be to have access to the front of the motor for some maintenance. it would be easier to do the timing belt,water pump, crank seals, and cam seals with the motor out, but it would be overkill otherwise. if you are going to do that, throw in a set of mounts while you are at it and call it a full maintenance.
Ok thanks. I was thinking i'd do the timing belt while it's out.

Old 09-20-2010, 11:02 AM

Hi, once i have the good tranny out what should i look for before i re-install in the other car? Bearings, what should i lokk for on the clutch plate ect. ?

Old 09-20-2010, 04:30 PM

I would go and get a new clutch kit down to the throw out bearing. if the motor is coming out, drop in some new motor mounts. other than that, just the things that I have already mentioned. with all of these other things done, you have to do the timing belt.

Old 09-20-2010, 05:01 PM

K thanks a million. Do you know if the pass. side drive axle plits at the hanger bearing or do i pull it out in one piece? Oops that was you that answered my other post. Sorry, it's just that i'm actually in the garage now on a computer working at it trying to figure it out.

Last edited by tundrapolaris; 09-20-2010 at 05:04 PM.

Quick Reply: LX 2.0 Tranny