Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

K&N filter kills mass airflow sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 07:38 PM
Default K&N filter kills mass airflow sensor?

Hello,
I just bought a 95 protege 1.5l for daughters first car. A mechanic told me the least amount of oil from the k&n filter would destroy the mass airflow sensor and they aren't cheap. He must not be correct cause I haven't seen any post on several forums, logical? Answer my own question? It needs a little more pep.

I really don't like howthe cylinder compression is just over minimum around 150 and just 90000 miles. Spark plugslooked like they were run pretty lean. I was told Ethanol blended fuel would do that. That sound right? They look to be original ngk plugs.Whats the best way to get all the carbon off the top of the pistons? They looked like there was a nice layer of cake on all of them.I'm changeing timeing belt, plugs/wires, fuel filter, cv joint and boot of the other, distributor, pcv, valve cover gasket, flush coolingand hopefully this car is good for a long time.
I paid $1800 and $340 under blue book in fair condition so Istill think I came out ok.

Thanks for any help,
Scott

Old 03-08-2008, 08:37 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: K&N filter kills mass airflow sensor?

Hey Scott. WOW!! So many questions. I'll try and answer a few of 'em for you..

Hello,
I just bought a 95 protege 1.5l for daughters first car. A mechanic told me the least amount of oil from the k&n filter would destroy the mass airflow sensor and they aren't cheap. He must not be correct cause I haven't seen any post on several forums, logical? Answer my own question? It needs a little more pep.

I ran a K&N panel in my 3 and the only time I had any problems related to the MAF was just after changing over to an MS CAI w/dry synthetic filter. It mayhave been that the "factory oiled" K&N(it didn't have enough mileage on it for me to clean it myself to that point) contributed to that since no one else seems to have had this problem when converting to a cai. I was able to clean the MAF using 50/50 rubbing alcohol and a careful Q-Tip. It took 2 to get it right, but no other problems since (approx 4k miles now.)

I really don't like howthe cylinder compression is just over minimum around 150 and just 90000 miles.

I really don't think that's a problem. 150 is pretty good.

Spark plugslooked like they were run pretty lean. I was told Ethanol blended fuel would do that. That sound right?

Yes! Correct. Alcohol carries it's own molecule of O2 and often makes the car run leaner than normal.

Whats the best way to get all the carbon off the top of the pistons?

Take the car to a shop that offers a direct pressure cleaning. They tap directly into the fuel rail and pump the cleaner in under pressure. Then drive the car a shortdistance, reconnect to fuel supply and DONE!

I'm changing timing belt, plugs/wires, fuel filter, cv joint and boot of the other, distributor, pcv, valve cover gasket, flush coolingand hopefully this car is good for a long time.

Sounds good... especially the timing belt if you don't have records. 'Don't wanna mess with that thing.It's like a time bomb waiting to go off, and I'm glad car makers are finally getting away from using them.
Don't forget the (hydroscopic) brake fluid.
Does a '95 still have a distributor, and wires?

I paid $1800 and $340 under blue book in fair condition so Istill think I came out ok.

Again, it sounds good.
I hope this helps you?

Thanks for any help,
Scott

Old 03-09-2008, 09:40 AM

HAHAHAHAHAHA! Looks like you need to find a new machanic. I put a K & N filter in untill I can find something better to replace the whole intake system and no problems with the MAF or anything else.

Old 03-10-2008, 10:48 PM

Thats alot of answers! thanks you two.
I didn't read enough into the haynes compression test section till tonight. #2 cylinder gave me 120 then the mechanic sprayed oil in it and it shot up to 150. Haynes says that definitely means a bad pinston ring. I forget what the mechanic said after that but blew it off like it was normal or something. I don't remember it smoking when I drove it home. I fought with the fuel filter all night tonight. I'm not sure I should go any further without a leak test or sell it now at auction.

Oh and yes its still got a distributor.Its leaking past its seal so it needs to go. I was planning on getting brake fluid flushed but thats probably just a gimmick way of saying replace brake fluid. I read that carbon on the pistons is probably giveing it higher compression so If I clean them they all will be under minimum which is 146.
Think daughter could get a couple of yrs outa her?