Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

issues, Mod it, or swap it, and where the heck to find parts

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 10:19 PM
Default issues, Mod it, or swap it, and where the heck to find parts

1999 mazda protege es 1.8l 183k miles. Automatic
Issues currently-other than my wife's refusal to get rid of it- Common evap problems, stalls when you refuel and does not start for a bit after refueling. Weak charging system despite good battery so prob the very expensive alternator. Finally has developed the "tick".

positives- still for all intents and purposes runs well. refuses to die. I have very very little money tied up in it so far. It is on new shoes, brand new monroe shocks and struts, some misc moog components, new sway bars on the way in. Interior is near perfect, body is clean as can be besides paint on the hood,

The question- Contemplating a KL v6 swap since I am having one heck of a time finding any sort of bolt ons for this motor. She wants the car perked up and some more power. I did read the sticky and browse through the N/A section. Willing to go through the work however kind of limited on taking the car down for more than an afternoon at a time so...Where in the crap do I find bolt ons for this motor? Are there ways to improve I.E can I use miata 1.8 parts etc. Is there a decent and inexpensive motor swap. Guide me mazda peoples.