Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

Intake vacuum leak after shutter valve actuator replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2023, 08:34 AM
Default Intake vacuum leak after shutter valve actuator replacement

Hi everyone, I’m back after replacing the shutter valve actuator on my 2002 protege. Had to take off the intake manifold
upper and lower. Replaced both gaskets lower was a steel upper was a fiber gasket w/red silicone out lines. Both fel-pro. Torqued to 15-18 ft lbs.
after the repair had a vacuum leak around the the intake. Removed intakes again. Could not see anything wrong w/gaskets. All vacuum hoses look good (and there are a lot of them&#128514. Pull every thing back off. Ordered new gaskets. Going to replace all the hidden vacuum hoses.
anybody ever have to use sealer on these gaskets to make them work. Maybe that spray on copper coat?🤔.Felpro says no sealer needed. Thougths? Thanks Gus.

Old 04-16-2023, 10:04 AM
Default Back again update

Update on the shutter actuator replacement. The silicone on both sides of the upper intake gaskets and copper coat on the lower intake and throttle body did the trick. It didn’t want to stay running in the beginning after start up, I thought here we go again. After three or four try’s she started right up and purred. It was sitting for a while waiting on parts. I guess the injectors had to pressure up. I still need to drive it to reset the IM monitors before emission test. Hope the light don’t come back on😩. I’ll keep you posted. thanks Gus

Old 04-18-2023, 09:40 AM
Default Update

Update. The DTC P0421 came back. When I put the intake and shutter valve actuator back together I mistakenly installed that black and green check valve In the shutter valve supply vacuum line backwards. Opps😂.
turned it around. Have to let it cold soak for a while before checking again. In the meantime I installed the non-fouler hack on the rear 02 sensor😎. Keep u posted.