Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

intake HELP PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 12:09 AM
Question intake HELP PLEASE

ok here is the deal i have a 2000 protege 1.6 liter... i repaced the stock intake with a ram air 3" spectre and now my car idles way too low and dies sometimes... also super groggy and jumpy(chopping) on the take-off but awesome between 4500 and 6500 rpm why is it soo choppy in the lower rpm's and run like crap until reved up.....it is sealed up tight and has the MAF senser on it ANY IDEAS

Old 04-08-2009, 08:36 PM

It seems that your idle mixture is far too lean. This means your MAF is telling the ECU there's much less airflow than is really the case. This could mean the intake geometry where the MAF is located is wrong, the MAF calibration is wrong for your setup, or the MAF is defective. You don't mention anything like fault codes, CEL status or whatever. I suggest you get as much "hard" data as you can and take this issue up with spectre first, then take it from there. Don't expect miracles; tuned means exactly that. You pay for performance at one end of the scale by the compromises you make at the other.

Old 04-08-2009, 10:12 PM

i am planning on taking it a mazda dealership...do you think that would be the best choice? autozone said the MAF sensor was coming up when they plugged in to it. i am not good with technology on cars....

Old 04-09-2009, 07:08 AM

The reason I said codes first, (ALL CODES, WRITE THEM DOWN), spectre next, is because Mazda techs. are trained to strictly follow the fault finding diagnostic procedures which apply to a stock Mazda without modifications, not a tuned one.
Spectre on the other hand might very well have lots of experience in dealing with your type of problem and can tell you what to do. You might even check to see if they have an FAQ service on their website.

Old 04-09-2009, 11:27 AM

Switch back to the stock and see if you still have the problem.

The Mazda techs will probably tell you it's because of the aftermarket intake.

Old 04-10-2009, 01:08 AM

i put the stock right back on it, it runs perfect... but do u think mazda can change the air to fuel ratio and make it run right with the intake on it.... no clue about the codes

Old 04-10-2009, 10:33 AM

I advised you should consult Spectre, since all evidence points to a MAF calibration issue affecting the idle mixture. Going back to stock intake and finding everything is fine confirms that yes indeed, it is a MAF issue.
Unless someone else on this forum has had similar experience to yours, you won't resolve it here.
Unless the Mazda agency you deal with has had experience in performance tuning, you won't get it there either!
Go to http://www.spectreperformance.com/#HOME --- (as I already suggested).
I just checked this site and it is just what you need, and you'll see that other people have had your problems, MAF recalibration was often the issue, and adapter kits are available to recalibrate the MAF for the Spectre intake for a variety of diameters and makes of car. The Spectre site design is excellent, and will probably be of far more help than this Protege forum, now that you know your engine configuration is clean.
Keep us posted on how you make out. Good luck.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:46 PM

PROBLEM SOLVED, i put a reducer in it that dropped it form 3" to 2-1/4" at the MAFS and it runs like a charm... thanks to the guy at O'rieleys who told me to try it, its homeade but it works, have pics of it tomorow

Old 04-15-2009, 07:09 AM

Good ! A word of caution though;
Be very, very sure that the improvised reducer you've got in there is secure.
If it isn't, those things can take off and slam into your throttle plate like a bullet.
Happy Zoom Zooms !

Old 04-15-2009, 08:51 AM
Super Moderator

I believe this is what some are calling an air straightener. That pesky lil' MAF sensor again.
When will the engineers come up with a better, more reliable way to detect air flow??
(A rhetorical question as I already know the answer to that one.)
/Rant- re: MAF sensors.

Quick Reply: intake HELP PLEASE